1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy Roof on 2003 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brian m, Nov 28, 2004.

1. brian m

brian m Member

Has anyone else with this truck had this problem?

When driving on the highway with a 8.5' Fisher V-plow the roof sounds like it is being hit with heavy rain or hail. Nothing is actually hitting the roof but that's how it sounds and only when on the highway with the plow on the truck.
    Any guess as to what the hell is going on???
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've driven trucks where the roof would pop down and up from the turbulence. Due to a box on the back and the fact that the roof had been pushed in at one time, probably from someone stepping up there. Can you see if it has ever been popped down? Another truck had a crack in one of the bolt holes where the sun visor was mounted. As the visor buffeted in the wind the two sides of the crack would snap back and forth past eack other.If you have a visor, check the mounting holes for cracks.
  3. Hey Brian, I think I have the same thing. It kindof sounds like someone is tapping on the windsheild, or like a sharp popping noise. I've got the same plow and almost the same truck. Its been doing it to me for 3 years without any problems, I just hope my Windsheild doesn't pop out or something :dizzy: If you figure out a way to fix it, please let me know, and I'll do the same. :drinkup:
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.......Do you have a hood bug sheild on your trucks ?

If so that could be your problem. I see a lot of windsheild/roof noise
    posts on most of the GM truck sites. GM has a windsheild reseal
    service bulletin for a fix for trucks under warranty................geo :drinkup:
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

My guess guys is with the plow on you are changing the flow of the wind over the roof of the truck. My guess is the plow is pushing more wind up on the roof and you are changing the airflow and slipstream,there fore the more the wind change's its flow the more noise it can make. Hell I don't know if this is right or not but I know with flying a plane anytime you change one little thing it changes airflow,a little frost on the wings and the plane might not even get in the air and fly. The frost changes the shape of the wing and kills alot of the lift.

Regards Mike
  6. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

That was exactly the problem with my 1500. Couldn't figure out why, after installing the bug shield, I heard this strange tapping that sounded like it was coming from the roof. Turned out the turbulence was making the end of the passenger side wiper tap on the windshield! Drove me nuts till I figured it out. Now I just listen to music and drown it out!

7. brian m

brian m Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Sonjab, nope, no bug shield.
    I do however have the rubber deflectors on the plow that may do the same thing. I thought it might be the air turbulence created from the plow as well but I've had several other Chevy plow trucks where that was never a problem. I've also tried the plow in the v position, straight, angled left, angled right, low to the road, etc., whatever position the roof still made the popping noise on the highway!
    I wonder if it has something to do with the windshield seal like Sonjab had mentioned, I'll have to look into that.
    Sonjab, did you see those posts about the windshield at fullsizechevy.com?
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  9. 3D Lawncare

3D Lawncare Junior Member

The sound is coming from your windshield moldings there is a new hard plastic model that GM has come up with. At my work we have put a bunch on for the same problem, my truck included. This is the most common problem we have seen anyway.
  10. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I guess I'll throw in my two cents... can't hurt. I used to hear flapping sounds once in a while but since I put a Lund hood deflector on the noise is pretty constant on the highway.

The noise on my rig comes from the rubber strips that lay over the hood hinges. I not sure of the exact purpose of these strips. There's one on each side and sometimes they make a racket. Changes in air flow, I assume a negative pressure area, seems to be the cause. Knowing where to look I can see them fluttering though the crack in the hood when cranking down the highway. Hope this helps.
  11. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

holy crap my trk does the same thing 55mph + sounds like sand hitting the top of my windshield,,some times if i angle the blade it stops but im worried the windshield is going to pop out,,i now just turn the radio up,,2004 silverado 1/2ton,ex cab,,04 fisher 7.6 ft,,rd.plow about 700lbs. :eek:
  12. brian m

brian m Member

Hey guys,
    I checked the molding around the windshield, the ones on the left and right side that run vertically from the cowl to the roof, they are somewhat loose!
    I could see how a change in airflow could cause these to flap in the wind.
    I haven't checked with GM yet about the replacements 3D Lawncare mentioned but will soon. I guess a bead of some black silicone between the windshield and the molding would do the trick as well I just haven't tried either yet but once the plowing season gets into full swing I think the annoyance factor will get me to do something about it real soon.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Happy Plowing.
  13. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

always keep ur plow to angled to the rite so if u get pusshed into a snow bank ur plow dosesnt suck u into the bank and get us erioulsy stuck. and higher is better less likly to scrape. and if u have it anled straigth u kil ur gas milage. and if u hit a deer or something the deer will go the side and u wont run it over and kill it or hurt it as badly.