1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MsQueen, Oct 19, 2003.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Hi,

Does anyone out there have a Chevy or GMC truck that DOES NOT have a noisy fuel pump?

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My Chevy truck and my Chevy car both have quiet pumps, cant even hear them run. Your new Chevy truck has a noisy pump? Usually when they are noisy they are getting ready to burn out. I think you meant to post this in the Chevy section, not the Heavy Equipment section. :D I put a new fuel pump in a 1993 Cutlass Ciera Friday and the new pump was very noisy when we got done, sounded like it had a million miles on it already. Thats the very first time we got a new fuel pump out of the box that sounded like that. KEM namebrand for people like Wyldman who are wondering. ;) We had to do the job again Saturday morning, not a real big deal though, had the tank out, and the sending unit disassembled in roughly 14 minutes. When we got done with the job the second time, quiet as a church mouse, :D , the way it should be! Mike

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The two Astro's we use for our business both have had the fuel pumps replaced and the one guy who works for us has one and so does his brother and both of them have had fuel pumps replaced at least once and all of them brand new or not have been noisy.

4. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Thanks for the info. I had checked out a Silverado prior to me purchasing the 99 GMC Sierra and that had a very loud pump. I'm gonna drive the truck for about a week and than bring it back for the pump. I figured a noisy pump would mean it's trouble down the line but considering I drove two GM vehicles with the same noise I would see if it was a typical problem. I'm also going to have my mech. check it out in about a week (for other stuff). The place I bought it gave me a two month/2500 mile warranty on ALL, no deduct.

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I would also have all 4 u joints, cv joint and yoke checked. These are parts that can fail when plowing. Also do a tranny flush and have the bands tightened. Its a good idea to have it flushed every year. Also make sure your fluids are full in your t case and diffs. As far as the fuel pump goes....I would have it checked, but I think most GM vehicles have a noisy pump and it doesn't necessarily mean that it will fail soon. Did you ever find out if you have a tranny cooler?

6. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Thanks.
    I don't have a tranny cooler because the tow package is really just a hitch, no wiring associated with it. I think I'm going to have one installed, they are cheap enough.

7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Yeah that would be a good idea.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

A noisy pump doesn't always mean it's bad.A lot of the replacement pumps can be noiser than the OEM pump.

A lot of the noise is actually caused by the incorrect installation of a new pump.Some mechanics fail to install the rubber isolators correctly,or at all,and the pump grounds out on mounting bracket and transmits the noise to the tank.A big hollow tank will amplify the noise.Forgetting to install any rubber strap protectors or tank insulation will also amplify and noise.

Have the pump pressure\volume checked,and if it test's out fine,don't worry about it.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Chris, I agree with you, but Im sure we didnt install anything wrong, its not a real big deal to set it in the sending unit properly. We have done tons of fuel pump jobs and none ever turned out noisy like this one did. The pump that was in the car was so quiet you couldnt even hear it, up until it burned out. This one was way too noisy, couldnt give the customer the car back like that, they would have complained about the noise issue Im sure. Besides, I wouldnt let the car out like that anyway, the pump and screen was $112 our cost, and for that kind of money, it better atleast be quiet! We usually get Airtex namebrand, this one just so happened to be a KEM and it was noisy. The parts store said they would send us an Airtex in place of it, but somehow we ended up with another KEM. :confused: We took a shot with it and put it in and it turned out quiet as can be. Mike :drinkup:

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry Mike,wasn't really referring to your installation,just noisy pumps in general.Sometimes if you don't get the little rubber isolator on right,the one at the bottom under the strainer,the pump body will touch the mounting bracket,and the noise is REALLY loud.Some pump also have a rubber or foam sleeve to help isolate noise,and most mechanics just toss it in the garbage.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nah, I know you didnt mean it that way Chris, I just wanted to clarify a little better how the job went. No harm done pal. :) :waving: Mike