1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

noises on a V10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by spittincobra01, Jan 18, 2007.

1. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I have had this tinny rattle from the underside of my truck around the rear of the engine for a couple years now and was wondering if any of you have heard it on yours and maybe someone knows what it is. It only happens when the engine is cold, and when driving with minimal throttle. If I warm it up for 10-15 mins it will not happen at all unless it's colder than 30 degrees out. If it's colder than 20, it will do it no matter how much I warm it up. I thought it was a heat shield rattling, but can't duplicate the sound unless it's driving under the circumstances above. 2002 F350, 6.8 V10, 4x4, only stock exhaust from just in front of stock cat foreward.. replaced cat and behind this year. thoughts?

2. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

That would have been my guess a heat shield. Mine did the same and I couldn't locate the problem. I took it to my muffler shop and they found it with in minutes.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The rattle is the transmission inspection cover. Either take it off and silicone it and then put it back on or a qucik fix is to use a small screwdriver and push a piece of duct tape in just a little and then drive it. The rattle will be gone and then you can make whatever fix you want. Some guys just bend the plate too.

4. spittincobra01

are you refering to the small cover at the bottom of the bell housing?

5. hydro_37

from iowa

Yes. It is a piece of tin. Can be bent really easy. It rattles like crazy though. I just used the duct tape to make sure it was the cause of the rattle and it was. Tim

6. spittincobra01

ok, I'll get under there before the game tomorrow and see if I can't make it stop. Thanks again for the input!

7. hydro_37

from iowa

Glad I could help. I got the fix idea here.....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/

if you click on "forum" at the top of the page and then click list you will find a forum for any Ford truck question you will ever have. The Plowsite is the best place for plow questions though. Tim

8. spittincobra01

you were absolutely correct. I took the bolts out and used high temp weather stripping between the plate and the tranny, reinstalled the bolts and no noise! I have been listening to it for 2 years now for nothing. Actually I learned how to drive the truck so as to not have it make the noise... but occasionally it couldn't be avoided

thank you!

9. hydro_37

from iowa

Glad it worked. Drove me crazy for a long time too.