1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noise question on 99 F250 SD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mtk469, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Okay all hopefully somebody might have some thoughts on this. I have a 99 F250 SD 7.3l Standard Cab, Long Bed. When I have the hubs locked and in 4wd it does the standard hop and drag on dryish pavement. This morning while I was making a fairly tight turn it made a new sort of snap or crack noise coming from what seemed to be the drivers front and fairly loud. The pavement was wet where I was turning. I guess I am just looking for suggestions on a place to start looking around to determine the problem.
    Thoughts?
    If I left out some info needed to help determine things let me know and I will do my best to get it.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Matt

2. bry03

bry03 Junior Member

how old are the front u joints? i have seen them seize up.. to check this jack up the front end so that both wheels are off the ground pick a side lock that lock out in and turn the tire by hand,. u should be able to turn it.. the turn the wheel one way or the other. try to turn it again. if it does not want to turn or turns super hard the u joint is going bad. ive seen it break the lock outs because of this... and then do the other side same way..

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

axle joints snap and bang when they are going south too.

4. plowking15

plowking15 Member

You should be able to see the joints if you turn the wheel hard left or right. I will visually inspect mine and shake it. While you have it apart,good idea to check the ball joints, upper joint grease fittings can have a plug facing the joint,remove it and put it fitting just to grease it. Fitting can't stay in there,clearance issues when joint is spinning. That's how our truck is,it's a little newer then yours. I run a plow, sander,so I leave hubs unlocked most of time unless I need it for hills, slippery conditions. plowking

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  5. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Thanks form the input guys. I am going to put it in the air tomorrow morning and see what I can come up with. Not really sure what I am looking for with the axle joints but I imagine I will figure it out.
    Any other toughts.
    Thanks,
    Matt

6. mtk469

mtk469 Member

it only makes the noise with it in 4wd not in 2wd with the hubs locked. This would be correct as far as the axle joints goes right.
    Just trying to cover all of my basis.
    Thanks,
    Matt

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

when the hubs are locked the axle turns
    the driveshaft turns once you lock it is 4WD

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If the hubs are locked in the driveshaft is turning.

9. mtk469

mtk469 Member

So are you saying that if it is the axle joints it would do it with the hub locked in 4wd and
    2wd? Or in 4wd only?
    Just looking for advice on where to begin?
    Thanks,
    Matt

10. cretebaby

Sorry, I was just clarifying something that Hydro said.

I would look at the ujoints first. They are turning wether in 2wd or 4wd but have very little stress on them in 2wd.

11. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Axle joints or drive shaft u joints? I am guessing axle but thought I would check.
    thanks for all of your insight.
    Matt

12. hydro_37

from iowa

With the truck in the air you should and can check all of them at the same time.

13. hydro_37

from iowa

Sorry...I had brain fade. (happens alot these days)

14. cretebaby

I hear ya there. :drinkup: