1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noise in 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AJ94RAM, Dec 17, 2008.

1. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

First snow of the year, 94 ram 2500, when in four wheel drive, has a squealing sound coming from underneath . Does it in forward or reverse while accelerating, seems to not do it while coasting. Also has a vibration while cruising, but again, only in 4 wheel drive. Are both things related. Really appreciate any input, want to get fixed before next snow, don't want to take any chances of something breaking.

Thanks

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I think I'd look at the u-joints in the front driveshaft first. are they originals? or have they been replaced at some point already?

3. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

They were replaced maybe 5-6 years ago, they don't seem to have any play.

4. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

It could be the ball in the CV joint. Just had to replace it in my Ford. Symptoms were just like you described.

5. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

Did it only do it in 4 wheel drive . What did it cost and was it easy. Is this called a cv joint on dodge, or something else.

6. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Its probably a double cardan joint which is basically a cv joint.. Sounds like a u-joint, especially on the front shaft.. Yea, you replaced them 5-6 years ago, thats a long damn time if you ask me.

7. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

even if they don't have any play, they could be all dry and rusty inside the caps.

8. vffdoug

vffdoug Junior Member

Vibration

I just replaced the yoke on the front side of the front driveshaft on transfer case.