1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noise in 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Dec 9, 2013.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I have a 2011 3500HD and while plowing yesterday, I can hear a howling noise in 4 wheel drive. Kinda sounds like a motor on a angle grinder running. It start and stops and speeding up or slowing down can make it start and stop. Truck seems to go into 4 wheel drive fine. My uncle said that maybe a hub isn't locking? Truck will not make the noise in 2wd. I suppose to get it into the shop tomorrow afternoon, but a couple of inches of snow is forcasted tomorrow night. Don't want to have to plow in 2 wd. Has anyone else have a problem that sounds like this?

2. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

I have a 2013 with the same problem took it in turns out there is a recall for some rubber bushing that was either forgot or some weird thing. So they put it in now it's good I had to wait for it to come in. They told me at the chevy dealer it's no big deal and does not hurt to run it as is.

3. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

i too have a 13 that howels something terrible when in 4 wheel...my dealer told me its normal...of course....ive only had 15 trucks in last few years that never made a noise...hmmm..

mine also dosent like coming out of 4x4 takes atleast 5-8 min unless you stop and back up for a few feet...never had to do that ever on any of my trucks...

im going to dig deeper with that recall bushing deal...do you have a recall or service bulliton number?

4. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

i also have a 2013 that screams in 4wd HI. Dealer told me it's 'normal'. They compared it to another 2013 on the lot, that was all the troubleshooting they did. If the big three and auto suppliers continue producting parts in 3rd world countries, this is what we have to look forward too. You the consumer will be the quality control, when parts start getting out of spec at the plant due to worn tools and no maintenance you will end up at the dealer with a broken down truck.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Mine didn't do this when it was new. Its got 37,000 on the odometer now. I thought I heard it last season but everybody told me that I was just "hearing" things. Seams louder now and my 8 year old can hear it too. I have an apointment an 12:30 today, I will report back on what they say. I do know that these newer GM trucks make strange noises from tiem to time that GM can't find a reason or cause for. Drives me insane.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The mechanic could definately hear it. He said it may be a plastic roller rubbing on the chain cause it seem to do it more when coasting. He wants to wait until it gets a little louder cause then when they disassemble the transfer case, they should be able to see exactly what part or parts are worn. Said that it wasnt anything that would leave me stranded. Next time it snows, he wants me to bring it in so we can drive it down some snow covered roads and listen a little better. Right now the roads here are bone dry. So time will tell.

7. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Thanks for the info. Mine does the same thing. It is somewhat quiet when I'm on the gas and growls when coasting. It is slightly quieter on snow, but not much. The dealer let me test drive (2) new 2013 2500hd regular cab w/t, one with a plow and one without. They both made the same noise when coasting. I could see this being a problem on a new body style, but this truck has been in production since mid 2007. That makes no sense.

8. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

hey, 2011 chevy 2500 seems to do something similar when in 4x4. its more of a winding noise I think than a howl though. only happens in 4x4 and it seems like it quiets down when I turn off my traction control( could be my imagination). hasn't affected my work at all, but im worried it'll leave me stranded mid shift one day. :S

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'm scared to run 4 wheel drive now. LOL We are suppose to get snow tomorrow and the mechanic said that if I get time to bring it in when the roads are snowy so we can listen to it more. I'll try turning off the traction control to see if the noise changes.

10. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

I bought some snow chains and figured if my front went, I could throw them on to finish the job until I could get it in... im not sure if that's a dumb idea or not as ive never used chains and if it would do more damage continuing on in 2wd