1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noise from plow? Please help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by te snow, Jan 16, 2009.

1. te snow

te snow Member

I have a western straight blade that makes a growl noise while lifting, angling left, and angling right. It still operates properly in every way. I have replaced the motor, hydralic pump, and all three cartridges in the attempt to fix it myself. The noise still exist during operation and sounds the same as it had before. I'm tired of being a parts changer and would like your input.
    Thank You

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the bushing is bad IF its an ultramount.

3. te snow

te snow Member

This is an 8' Ultra Mount Plow. Sorry didn't specify earlier.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the bushing between the motor and valve goes bad sometimes.

5. redplow

redplow Member

i had the same problem with mine . Mine sounded like a creaking floor board when raising or lowering try greasing the all of the connecting pins on the plow.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Use anti - seize on all the connecting pins, front and rear fasteners. Make sure all your bolts are torque properly. I would even check the bolt that hold the A frame to the Quadrant. My plow was making noise and creaking sound. I grease every pin and any bolt I could take off. But I never check the bolt for the A frame to Quadrant. Come to find out the bolt was bad and the two pieces were rubbing side to side. Change the parts I needed and also use anti - seize before putting it back together.

Be safe then sorry

7. twinman326

Forgot one more thing, check your truck.

While I was checking the frame to the truck, I notice one of my stabilize links were broken and my frame bumper were missing.

surprising no one ever think to check the vehicle also. Noise does travel!!

8. te snow

te snow Member

Bushing

Found that the plow bushing/bearing sleve to be worn allowing the motor shaft to vibrate inside manifold housing.

9. twinman326

Glad you found the problem