1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noise and Vribration when Slowing down

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

I just had my balljoints done and I notice when im rolling to a stop, I hear a faint gearing down noise, and a little bit of a vibration under my feet. Its very faint, and you can only hear it just before stopping, its hard to explain, the best I can describe is like a gearing down type of noise. Does it with or without brakes applied. Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Driveshaft universal. It could be either the front or rear universal on either shaft. Do you have your hubs locked in?

3. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Could be a number of things; wheel bearing, spindle bearing, axle u joint, sensor rubbing ABS ring.

I have always gone over board when I do a set of ball joints, I always replace the axle joints, on the superduty I always replaced the bearing assembly. Yeah it makes the cost of the repair go up, but I know that I am going to have another 100K with no front end issues.

Toyman

4. Lynden-Jeff

Nope, hubs are unlocked. I think I am just not going to worrie about it, until something breaks. After all it is just a noise that is very faint.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I would'nt wait- It'll probably break at 3am in the middle of a 10" snow 20 miles from a service station, you know what I mean?

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I would say it is your u-joints on the front shaft.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Why would they start making noise after changing out the ball joints?
    I will ask my mechanic when I take it in, if he can see anything that would cause it.

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well now you ball joints are tight and vibration free so it is now put the vibration some were else with weak parts.

9. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

had the same problem man right after my ball joints were done and it happened to be the new grease fittings i had put in i just couldnt tell when i was on the gas

that and the fact my hubs were both gone

fyi ford guys do yourself a favor and buy a set of warn 3/4 turn hubs youll never be happier wesport

10. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

I went over a speed bump real slow 2 days ago and got a vibration like a rummble and noise. 99 F250 4x4. It sounded like ring and pinion but I grabbed the drive shaft and there is no play or oil leaking around the shaft. It did it again when I was turned to the left but not to the right again going real slow. Has a posi in it. I'm going to jack the rear end and check it again. I'll let you know if I find anything.

11. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

Ok, today the rumble and noise started and didn't stop. Thought something was going to fall out! With the hubs unlocked I turned the knob from 2h to 4h rolling down the street and the noise quit. Tried it 3 more times and did the same thing. Drove home in 4H with hubs unlocked/ auto position and no noise. Anyone have this happen?