1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nobody plows residential properties arounf here. No one. How about you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Jan 24, 2008.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Hey folks- I've been doing snow removal for a long long long time. Maybe 20 years ago a few guys would use plows for drives around here (dense suburbs). The property sizes here range from 40 x 80 up to maybe 1/8, 1/4 acre for whole property. There are no companies or guys that use plows for resis here. Why? Properties are too small, no where to put snow (no in street allowed) and plows do a crap job compared to snowblowers and shovels. If you were to plow a resi here- (the drive)- you would still need to get out a shovel or blower for the walks, steps, garage door,etc. With the blower you can put snow anywhere you want. I've wanted to get a plow, but never have due to the reasons above.

So, question is- does anyone plow resis in a densly populated suburban setting? Where are you? Thanks
  2. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

In West Hartford, CT the houses are 20 feet apart from each other and the neighbors in the back are 75 to 150 feet away. I would say the majority of them are plowed. Only snowblowed if they have to be because of lack of space for snow piles or paver driveways. You can drive around any block in a storm and see 3 or 4 different plow outfits working. I have a few tight ones with circle turnarounds and the pull plow makes them possible. And almost all of the small drives that I see plowed they put the snow across the street. I try to pull it to the edge of the drive then push to one side or another. If I go across with the snow then the street has to be left clean especially if it has been plowed already.
  3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

If I go across with the snow then the street has to be left clean especially if it has been plowed already

:nono: Sets a bad example for the good guys:waving:
  4. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Same Here

Hardly anyone uses plows in the drives.

I can't stand when plow guys are too lazy and plow across the street. That is what makes us good guys look bad. It is just very unprofessional. If you plow across the street, go back tha learn how to plow. I have been doing this for years, and I never had to push anything across the street.
  5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

MB 3, I have one drive that I have to plow across the street because there is only enough room on the property for 1 good storm and then it is full.
    Where the house is the neighbours house is about 10 feet away, and strait in is a garage, I cant push to the left (neighbours house) and cant go to the right because of the clients house, the only other option is to back drag the whole yard.

One more thing, you're comments on plowing across a street were not needed, in you're area you may have plenty of room, BUT in the city quite offten the room is not there, I see plenty of trucks as well as loaders having to push across because the space just isnt there.The one thing that does not get looked at when you see construction going on is snow removal, especialy in residential areas.

So just because you dont have to, dosent mean that it is the same every where else, so dont be putting down those of us that have to.:realmad:
  6. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I had one lady ask me to push it across the street. I generall bend over backwards to make my customers happy (and charge them accordingly) but on this I said no way. I always make a nice pile next to the driveway entrance.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Good points.

It is illegal in most places to push across the street.
    Just because your customer does not have room on their property does not give you the right to push across the street..

Plowing across the street is unsafe for everyone.

You and your customer have to make arrangements for the snow.
    maybe they truck it away. Maybe the drive does not get plowed but snow-blowed or a pay-loader is used instead.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The only driveway I plow Is my parent's and my own!! But I don't do mine unless there is 3 inches. lol
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Most ppl have figured out the hard way that residential plowing is not work the headache it causes.
  10. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Like you never did it and got caught by a state plow truck.[​IMG]
  11. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Once 18 years ago, NEVER AGAIN:nono:
  12. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I guess I'll have to give those 2 up next year.
    No customers I have talked to with no room for stacking snow want to pay the extra amount for snowblowing or removal off site. I could probably plow at least 5 drives in the time it takes to snowblow 1 $40 plowed drive.. So for me to snowblow a driveway (which I never will), I would have to charge minimum $200 to make it worth my while. I do see some guys snowblowing only. They go house to house and leave the truck with ramps coming off the tailgate in the street even when it is snowing hard and it is hard to see them. The poor guys are covered in snow head to toe and must be cold and wet all the time.[​IMG]

For those here who snowblow only, how do you do it? And are you saving payupfor a plow so you don't have to blow anymore? If anyone here lives in CT around West Hartford I can give you several snowblowing jobs.
  13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i agree id stay home and sleep or work at mcdonalds befor i would blow a whole route of drives
  14. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I did but don't anymore unless is heavy wet slushy snow. I run 2 New Holland utility tractors with front mount blowers. Works great - usually have 2 guys follow behind each tractor to do the little walk ways, in front of doors, porches, etc. I, along with one other company that actually shovels doorways etc out. Everyone else is using a skid, plow, backhoe, payloader and no one is getting out of the warm cab to clean up.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I push / back drag the snow to the front of the house. Then I put it up on the tree lawn between the street and the side walk. I have never had a complaint or neighbors complain.
    I even did a 3 pass on the 1 block long street at my late in-laws place every time. I had neighbors thank me many times for it. Just don't cause an obstacle or put it on someone else's property and no one will care. Just be careful some Cites the tree lawn is considered City property so they can ticket you if they see you do it.
  16. state law prohibits

SF hit it.
    It is against the law in Michigan
    Fastest way to spot a home owner or a rookie -- if the snow goes across the road.

the county road commission just has to call it in to the sheriff and you may get more
    than a warning.

We are also cautious about the banks at the end of the driveway.
    Drivers must be able to see over them.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are two pita accounts going to make or beak you?
    Replace them with better accounts.

Pick your accounts don't let your accounts pick you.
    Sometimes it is better financially to say no.
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's one of the laws of plowing.
    Don't build / make entrances and exits tight and difficult views for cars!

I always move snow away from entrances and exits. It's not real hard just have a plan.
    Move the snow away from the places that cause problems for cars. We are in 4X4 trucks that most times nothing will stop us. Just think about your wife or sister driving in the parking lot and plow so they can get around. They are not stupid but look at the vehicle they are driving.