1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NO WORK (Thanks Low ballers)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TPC Services, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I would like to start of by thanking all the low ballers in the DM, IA metro for getting work at $60 an less an hour do not know how much long the independents will keep wokin for ya due to the higher gas/ diesel price on the rise, insurance. I had pleanty of work last year the 3 companies I did this for where very Please with my work An i m not pattying myself on the back ask (Blade_ Master). NO u get these new to the busniness fools that think since I'll get the work cheep and pas it on guess again I'll sell my crap before that and watch you ruin your own name because you have no clue. YES YES I know its the nature of the beast but there's compation and just plan dum. U tell me how I'm suppose to make any money when Diesel is at $3.14 and going up and insurance also wear and tear on my equipment an ur going to pay $55 for a 3/4 V plow??? get bent

thanks for letting me rant!!!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Litleo92--Your Not alone on Ranting NO not by a long Shot w/ prices of Every thing Rising Daily & the Stock Market jumping UP & Down like a Yo Yo every bodies Feeling the Crunch! Here locally the Dealers Lots are FULL of New & Used 4X4s w/ Plows & just about? every Driveway has One in It--& most Large Malls & the Larger Lots are being Done by local Construction Contractors & w/ most of the other Businesses having their OWN Plows & doing other smaller Businesses & even the Private Home Owners are Calling around trying to get their drives plowed cheaper--as the $$ gets Tighter as WE See the Big Auto COS-Chrysler laying OFF 12,000--SOON?--I assume? GM & Ford will Follow? YEH! its Getting TOUGHER to make a Buck out There! & I Dono? it will Get Worse? before It gets any Better???--all We can Hope? for?? is the Low Ballers DO GO Out of Business? as I hear a Lot of the Local Guys in the Same Boat You Are! WE Plowers will just have to Wait & SEE? but Your RIGHT as Locally It Don*t Look all that GOOD --OleTower--
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would love to get that per hr per truck! But yeah I hear ya, STUPIDITY is running rampid!
  4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the shout out Baldylocks.
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: lowballers :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  6. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

Can I get an "AMEN"???
  7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

someone under bid me on a group of 4 driveways. They bid them at $6 per trip.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What...how can anyone make a living at that!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah really! I won't drop my plow for anything less than $35 (usually more like $45-50).
  10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

So you make $24 on that run? Seems worth it:dizzy: , really bringin in the money this year payup . Do tell your secret, seems to me like you are a low baller.

$45 for a normal res. driveway, if there are 4 drives looks like I just made $180

If someone underbid you I am curious why and even more curious how.
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

low ballers its the recent rise in immagrants
  12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

don't blame it on the imagrants, all they have is a shivel and a work ethic. in my area it's the regular guys that are trying to make a dollar without overhead (1972chevy and no ins.)LOL
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i only hire american they get free health care in this state and i gotta pay :gunsfiring:
  14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

15. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I hear ya. One account said they found someone to do it for Half of what they were paying and it was a big lot. Then they asked me if I just didnt need the work and if that is why other guysbids were so high. Well, when the guy doesnt show up to plow the lot, I know who they will call.

Dont you love how everyone with a 1/2ton or 3/4ton thinks they can put on a plow and make a killing, even though most of those guys already have full time jobs making 80k+ per year. Thats gotta be the only way these guys can charge 1/2 of what we charge.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  16. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I hear that I just bid on a 2.5 miles of roads and 161 driveway condo complex and I bid in at 31,000 and the guys about craped his pants and said he dose it for 14,000. How the hell can he make any money when it will take 4-5 hours with one truck to plow it all. I cant make a living at that price.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We do some of this to ourselves. Competing on price rather then service devalues the entire business.

We cann't compete monetarily with guys who buy a plow just to do their own drive and a couple family members they plow for free. Then they get offered $20 bucks to do a neighbors drive and it's big money compared to $0.00. Next thing they're doing the local gas station for $25 worth of fuel, then the coffee shop for $25 and free coffee. All with-out insurance, licenses, taxes or contracts. The best we can do is showcase the benefits of a pro, the insurance equipment, experience, reliability, etc... Hopefully this class of competitor learns the hard lesson and gets sued, caught by the IRS, or cann't cut the mustard because it's a side line and his real job interferes with the Lowballing.

People offer drivers $20 bucks off the books to do their drive. Don't think your drivers don't take it. I fired a sub last year for doing just that. I was doing part of his route because I was running ahead of my schedule, when this kid comes running up to me with a $20 bill. Gives me the money points at a house and said " mom said to pay you for doing the drive." I went ballistic :gunsfiring: :angry: I pulled in the drive, went to the door and gave the woman her money back. Called the sub on the phone told him to call as soon as he was done the lot he was doing, when he called back I fired him.:gunsfiring:
    I send everyone in that development a contract for drives @ $40 a pop. in the past I was doing maybe 50% of the homes, last couple years it's dropped back to about 30%. Not a bit of wonder the number of drives had dropped off, this guy was undercutting my price on drives and i was paying him by the hour while he was doing it. Explains why he was a little slower over the route then I thought he should be. He'll see how profitable his $20 drives are with-out the $60 @ hr I was paying him.

The people paying him are as bad as he is, they had to know what was going on when I send a contract for $40 and he'll do it for $20 but insists on cash up front.:realmad:
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think he said that the other guy bid the 4 properties at $6 each, lowballing HIM (by quite a bit, I would have to imagine!).
  19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know what people are doing in your part of the country, but I for one will never cut my price despite having a completely separate full-time job. Property maintenance AND the fire service are both full time, and I'll be paid appropriately for both or it's not worth my time.
  20. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I agree 100% with YardMedic. I work 40+ at the police dept, then another 30-40 at this. My time is worth alot to me. If I cannot get my price with plowing, I walk and let the low ballers take it, if that is who the customer is comparing me to. The following year, the people will usually call and tell me the stories about how the low ballers truck broke down, how he destroyed their property or didn't even show up during a big storm! Then, I get the job.
    Just stick with running a legit business and you will be fine in the long run. I know in the short term it really sucks losing to a low baller, and there never seem to be a short supply of them. Any clown with a truck and a plow thinks he can run a business....until something happens. That's when you shine. They will run themselves out of business but you will come out ahead, I am confident. Keep up YOUR good work.