1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No V Plow for 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by HD61CUIN, Sep 5, 2006.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Why can't you run a V plow with a Ford F250 or Dodge 2500 Diesel Quad Cab? Does anyone here run a V here with this setup? I hate being limited to a 7'6" straight blade. With a Quad Cab you need an 8'6"
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Part of the reason is the added weight of a diesel. I have a Boss 8.2V that just got installed on my 06 Ram 3500 CTD quad cab. The dealer didn't even think twice about putting it on.
  3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

So are they covering their butts or do I have to go up to the 350/3500? I wanted to stay with a Dodge. I think I can get a v on a 250 extended cab Ford.
  4. DaySpring Services

I think you'd be fine with a 8.2 on a 250 series truck. Call the Boss dealer and see what they say.
  5. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

They will do it ive seen alot of them. If you even buy a meyer st. blade it will tell you not to mount a plow on 250 ext. cab with diesel engine. They feel the weight of thr diesel and ext. cb plow is to much. In fact in 03 i ordered my truck with the brush guard option which gives you the 5200 front gvw which is really the snow plow prep package. Try and get snow plow prep pack. it wont work all in the wording for liability.
  6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

That is kind of what I thought. When I used the Western/Boss programs they all limited my choices to a straight 7'6" blade. I don't have a ton of work, only one trucking companies lot. The V really helps on the long windrows. I don't know alot about Blizzards and am a little unsure about them. I do however see a ton of Boss V plows, and from my personal observations it appears to be a better plow.

Mike33, I am not sure I understand the plow prep line in your reply. Are you saying they do not have a plow prep package with a Crew Cab/Extended Cab Diesel?

I would kind of like to stick with Dodge, that is not in stone, but that is the way I am leaning.
  7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

yes, thats what im saying on the older any way i had a 03 i ordered f-350 ext cab short bed with diesel. wantes snow prep could not get it. But if you ordered brush guard option it was the same as snow prep which was a 5200 lb. front end. Now i just bought a 06 same deal but they had thesnow plow prep option but they switched to coil springs in 05 which gives now a 6000 front gvw. So to anwer your question 05 and newer they wouild give it but not any thing older.
  8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

3/4 ton boss plow explanation

I just purchased a brand new Dodge 2500 CTD to plow with and ran into the same questions you are... that is, why can't I take the v-plow from my chevy and put it on my boss (according to them). Answer: Boss claims that the weight of the v-plow exceeds the front GAWR of this truck which is 5200 lbs. Curious as to why my Chevy 2500hd, with a lower GAWR front was considered capable and my new dodge wasn't, I went and had Dodge weighed, with myself in it, full tank of diesel, no ballast, and normal accessories that I carry when plowing. Result: my front axle weight came out to be 4360 and my rear axle weight to 2880. Yes, my truck has a decent amount of options (BIG HORN EDITION) and I weigh approx. 170-180 lbs. If you take the advertised weight of an 8'2" steel v-plow from boss (860 LBS.) and add that to the front axle weight of my DODGE, I have exceeded the front GAWR by a mere 20 lbs! My solution: I bought a set of Timbrens for approx $155, installed them to help out my springs (what the weight rating is based on according to a source I have at Chrysler) and I'm all set. Truck handles great, stops ok for having a plow on it, and best of all, since its a boss, if I have a warranty issue with the front end, there is no way for them to tell how big of a plow I have used. Timbrens work because if there is an issue they are easily removed and the front bump stops can be replaced, unlike with air-bags. Thats my opinion, hope it helps =o)
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Diesel power recently did an artical on ford and plowing....at fords proving grounds they were testing a 250 crew cab with a western v plow...so I would just keep a copy of that article and do it!
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The federal government and the FVMSSA ( federal vehicle manufacturers safety standards act) of 1994 and it's predecessors come in to play. You can not have more then 62% of the gross vehicle weight on the front axle. even if the plows weight does not exceed the gawr if the weight distribution creates a weight balance with more then 62% of the gvwr on the front axle, then you can not legally install a plow. Private individuals can get away with it, but a professional installer is held to a high standard as far as liability is concerned.
  11. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

V plow....You Can Do It!

I am a Boss Dealer and have good news for you. You can put an 8'2" V on the truck. But you would need to put Timbrens on the front. You should be the only one in the truck while plowing. Boss's formula is taking in account that the truck has all the seats occupied in the vehicle especially if you have a quad cab.wesport
  12. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I am waiting to see what Dodge comes out with for 2007. Their website only has the 3500 Commercial Cab updates. What I don't like is that they do not allow you to compare the 3500 and the 2500. Well you can, but they do not give you any information on the truck with a standard bed. With Ford, you have to go to the commercial section to learn about the 350.

After gaining information here I think I will be sticking with a 3/4 ton. With the amount of work/time that my plow and truck will see each other I can't justify a 1ton. Now I just need to make the Ford/Dodge decision. Either way I am going with the manual trans, I have had a manual for many years. I think it is time to go back.
  13. DaySpring Services

There really isnt much of a diffrence between a 3/4 and 1 Ton other than the suspension. There are some but not alot.
  14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We run Boss 9' 2" vees on all of our F250's. We have had to add another leaf to the front springs, but other than that they are fine. I know guys that have 9' 2" 's on Dodge 1/2 ton short boxes. They turned up th torsion bars and they hang just fine ( most say they are crazy, but that's how they roll).

I put a Western 9' 6" on my 2500HD , and man does it hang low. We'll have to change that.

You should be fine with a vee on any 250/2500 series truck.

Just my 2 pennies.
  15. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thanks for all the help, I have started shopping, just not sure when I am going to bite the big one and purchase. I like my small $350 payment and it looks like it would go up about $100-125 for a 3/4 loaded to plow in comfort.

We'll see
  16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I had an Ford 03 diesel quad cab with an 8'2" Boss V, squatted the front more than I liked but just put some weight in the bed to level the truck back out. It took 500# to get mine back to level - thing drove like a caddie....

And for those that say no difference between a 250 and 350 - wow - my 350 is a TRUCK, the 250 was a toy.
  17. earthwerks

earthwerks Junior Member

When I bought mine...

When I bought mine they wouldn't install it and wouldn't write on the bill of sale what is was for which was my '03 Ram HO diesel. Like was said before it exceeds the front axle weight rating.

BTW, my 8'-2" is for sale. Has optional rubber deflector, optional composite lights, optional locking cylinders. Used literally 15 times in two years. $2500

Well guys, I'm out of the plowing biz. My part of Michigan saw very little snow the past three years. Last season and this year will spent working in Mississippi cleaning up the Hurricane Katrina mess doing bobcat and grading work, so I won't be needing it---obviously. You should hear the locals ask me what that big metal tube is for under my bumper and the joystick control in the center console. When I tell 'em they look at me like I was from a different country (I guess I am LOL)

Reach me at 734 552-3317 the plow is in Flat Rock just south of Monroe, MI---ready for pick up. No wiring, control, or mount---just the plow.