1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No trucks available

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NCat496, Feb 2, 2010.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

So I went to my dealer today to get a price on a new fully loaded 3500HD regular cab long bed SRW Duramax/Allison and I cant get one until August/September of this year. I know GM is re-tooling right now for the new Duramax but I thought production started in April/May. Right now they couldnt find one in the country with a Duramax.

Also do I want to be a guinea pig for the new urea injected Duramax? I know these motors have been great since their start in 01 besides a few injector problems with the first few that GM warrantied.

The 6.0 is really not an option for me, I pull trailers everyday in the summer with skid steers/excavators and I use the 8.1/Allison for that but they dont make that combo anymore so diesel is my only option.

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Id try some different dealers. They produced 2010 duramaxes with the LMM (without urea) up until december 31, 2009. Theres got to be a few regular cab 3500s out there somewhere. Although if they get this crap with urea right it might be a good thing, they are supposed to get a few mpgs better, a urea fill up is only 5 gallons at around $3 per gallon and lasts around 5-8k miles, they are supposed to have alot more power, regens are supposed to be minimal cause the urea, and GM said they are gonna bump up the front axle ratings on the 2011s. With all that being said i wouldnt want to be a guinea pig either, I might own one in 5 years or so. Ill be buying a similar truck that you are in about a year, I would buy a LMM in april but Im getting deployed overseas for a year. If you cant find a new one maybe get a slightly used one. I found a 08 3500 SRW regular cab in michigan, red, duramax, 29k miles for $29,995, it was on autotrader. I want that 08 but theres no point in buying something and having it sit for a year, Ill just have my 04 LB7 around for another year

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Maybe it might be a good thing if I wait then so I will have the stronger front axel. Even though in a regular cab you can still get a plow prep with a Duramax.

Also I would like to thank you for serving our country, good luck and be safe ussmileyflag

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well when you find one tell them that you want TWO! I am looking for the exact same truck as well.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Have you done any searching or pricing yet? Also do you go to one dealer or any dealer? I am looking for a GMC, I just cant get used to that ridiculus front end on the Chevy.

7. Burkartsplow

All I can find are 3500HD SRW diesels, but they are all extended or crew cab. I just want a regular cab diesel. :drinkup:

8. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Ha, I bought my 09GMC Duramax 3500 HD 4x4 regular cab long bed and was pissed because I wanted an extended, not crew cab with a long bed. There were none out there in October. I had to "settle" for a regular cab...Long story short, I am really happy with the truck, really happy I didn't go extended(my Great Dane isn't)
    They told me the 2010's would be short< they should have been able to tell you also. They have production manuals, they tell the dealers what percentage of what models are going to be built, it is just that 95% of the dealers never pass the info on to their truck managers.
    Heavier duty front end????...Is it written in stone yet?
    Good luck, oh yeah, thought it was expensive for a regular cab, paid $37400 after everything because there supposedly were none out there, stickered at $42900.
    I do love it though.

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Also remember that along with not producing any new diesel powered pickups
    after Jan. 1 that the 3/4-1 ton production is being moved to a different factory
    also. Not to mention the 3/4-1 ton x-cabs won't be produced till late in Mar. 10
    either as I am wanting one.

10. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I've been wanting a ex-cab 2500 also. Can't find anything around. Did find one couple weeks where I found exactly what I wanted, options, color everything. Found it on the net, called them, yup we got it, come take a look. Dealer failed to tell me it's been their lot truck all winter. Had a half ass Western install (scary install actually) and 700 miles on the odometer. Course, in their eyes it's a "new" truck, so they wanted full price. Not interested in western, and not interested in you used new truck!

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have an 08 3500 4x4 reg cab dually for sale with 13k miles on it, its like new real sharp looking truck has custom built flatbed body.

12. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Ok, thought I would put it out there anyhow. Thanks.

Why a SRW 3500 and not a 2500HD? Is the GVW that much higher on the 3500 SRW?

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Theres a 700 pound difference in the GVW between the two. It looks like the leaf springs are a bit thicker on the SRW (they are still 2.5in wide though) and there is 6 on the SRW instead of 5(HD's) My next truck will be a SRW for that reason. Have you thought about looking at a 6.4 Ford 350? Theres always a decent amount of them around and they seem to be doing alright

15. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

There is a reason there is alot of thoes F-350's around. Also I dont enjoy putting money into my front every season haha

16. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

If I were you, I'd go get a brand new 2500HD... Does the 700lb difference in rear GVW really matter that much to you? You COULD do one of two things... throw an airbag kit in the rear (what i did), or you could put an extra leaf in the pack.... Same thing.

17. Burkartsplow

To me I would rather have the 700lbs extra since I have a 2500hd already with airbags in the back and it can handle a lot of weight, but I will put airbags on the back of the 3500 and with the dump insert(only 400lbs aluminum) in and loaded with 2 yards or salt she will sit perfect. Not that what you are saying would not work by any means since I have the same setup. I just want to have a 1 ton also in my fleet. Then the next truck after that would be a 4500 series.

18. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

19. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Yea you got a point there .Reliability on Ford diesels seems to be getting a little bit better with the 6.4 though. You cant beat the reliability of a duramax though. After 6yrs of working and plowing and 5000 hours- 105k miles my motor still hasnt been touched and has never let me down. Allison is still fine too. Thats reliability.

20. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Hey Burkkartsplow, are you reading my mind and typing for me? haha My 2500HD also has air bags in it already and I am going to add them to the 3500 also, I will never own a truck without them. They are on all 5 in my sig. Dont quote me on this also but im pretty sure the same situation is for the 2500HD's also that they cant get any.