1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No tow/haul anymore?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well my tow haul mode on my 00 2500 4L80E 6.0 decided to quit working. I put it in park, no towhaul. In gear, nothing even neutral, nothing. Im lost, kinda sux not being able to use it when I plow sometimes. I dont know if a wire is broke or a fuse or what. Any help will be appreciated

2. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Usually a wire breaks in the shift lever itself. You may have to replace the shift lever as a whole unit. Maybe a salvage yard if they will separate it from the column for you?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I would like to be able to go to a salvage yard, but no go since there are like no trucks like mine in the junk yards. Maybe wire it into a separate switch on the dash??

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Maybe check ebay?

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I find that hard to believe there are tons of them around here that have been wrecked etc...

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I know it is hard to beleive, but there really arent many junked around here, Ive called before, lol:)

7. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

if it bothers you that much....just put your truck in "3".....instead of overdrive...

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I know that, but putting it in 3rd still aint the same. It adjust the shift points in the trans and increases the line pressure. That way it keeps anything from slipping when towing heavy loads or pushing heavy poop snow that I just got in from

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The replacement shifters aren't priced too bad at the dealer. It's a common failure for the wires to break at the base of the shifter stalk so they sell many of them. Helps a little with the pricing. May want to give the dealer a try.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I figured they must break more often than we think. The constant gear changes when plowing probably puts way more stress on the wires than they were designed to handle. You would think they would put that switch on the dash rather in the shifter

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can extend the wire leads and place a momentary switch anywhere you'd like Tom...not hard at all to do. :)

12. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Well they put fuel pumps and sending units in the tank, the wifes water pump is behind the timing gears...at least they still have the muffler under the car.
    :nod:

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just take the top of steering column and you'll where the wires go in, Mine were broke right at the switch, so I just soughtered them back on. Just did it 2 months ago and it still works great. Do a search on Dieselplace.com and you'll find the DIY.:drinkup:

14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It's the yellow wire IIRC in the steering column.

15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Pull the shifter off, get the wire out and move it to a dash mounted switch...low cost permanent solution.

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks guys:waving:, I think that will be my project for tomorrow, since it wont be snowing. I will let yall know how it goes

17. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

dealer un hooked my tow haul on my 05 when they put the 1st trans in

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Intentionally? :confused:

19. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

ya that what they said

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What was their reason for disabling it?

Strange for a dealer to intentionally disable the T/H...and then tell the customer they did it.

Just curious...