1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no tailights 98 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brianbrich1, Oct 18, 2011.

1. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for help as to what color wire to test for power. I have a 98 2500 with working stop,haz,turn, and reverse lights. Both tail lights are not working and yes the bulbs are good.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you check the fuse?

3. brianbrich1

no designated tail light fuse but one for prk lamps.. its good

4. kmkalf

kmkalf Junior Member

did you lose your marker lights in the front as well? if so it may be the light switch itself- i know on my pre '95's that was the issue on 2 of them unsure of the '95 and newer

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

check the harness in the back for corrosion. if there is a ground make sure it its clean and in good condition. go through the fuses, my 92 would blow weird fuses and the tail lights wouldnt work and it made me mad everytime!

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

your dash lights working?

7. brianbrich1

Yes all lights work. In the harness in the back which wire powers the taillight. I have power to two wires with haz,andstop, anc two with no power. Which one is the taillight or ground

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

green- right turn/brake
    yellow- left turn/brake
    brown- tailights
    black- ground

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

It may be the circuit boards in the tail lights. They are known issue on that era of trucks. I have replaced mine a few times in a '89. I stopped using aftermarket ones (Help! brand) and bought genuine chevrolet replacement part and my lamp issues have gone away.

10. brianbrich1

Thanks everyone got them fixed. In that vehicle the taillight wire at the 4 flat plug in the rear behind the bumper is the brown one. Between the front and rear of the truck it was broken.