1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No tail lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kc2006, Dec 26, 2007.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I have 96 f250 and my taill lights quit the other day. Just the tail lights, nothing else. So far i've checked fuses, bulbs, relay, headlight switch. I traced the wiring and I have power up to the rear bumper. Theres a grey plug that has 8 prongs in it and 4 wires coming out (2 green and 2 brown), these split and run up to the tail lights and reverse. The power stops at the plug, goes in but doesnt come out the other end to the lights. So i unplugged it and cleaned it the best I could but no luck.

ANyone have suggestions? the wiring is all fubar'd from the previous owner putting a trailer plug in but it's worked for years now. Is there a ground back there somewhere? I spent all today on this thing and just want to finish it up tomorrow. still got other crap to fix :angry:

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

gotta be a ground somewhere shoot i need to get a better brain cause i cant think right now. but when u checkd if u had power where was ur negative lead?

3. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Not sure. From what i could see it looked like 2 brown wires but one might of been the black ground. From there it goes up to the two tail lights, back up lights, and lisence plate lights, and from what i saw it doesn't actually ground anywhere.

Maybe I'll try putting a jumper wire on the ground right at the plug and physically ground it to the frame? Wouldn't that then ground it all? Electrical is not my best area.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The junction plugs go bad all the time. Snow bergs build up on them and break the wires or corrode them.
    I would just make the junction plug go by by. Solder the connections together brown to brown / black to black etc. Cover the connections with dielectric grease and start taping outside the greased area. Stick the tape to it's self and tape it at least twice. The grounds are connected under the hood. They run with the harness to the back. If you have brake lights and reverse lights the grounds are OK. Brown has always been the color of parking / tail lights on Fords.

5. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Yea the brown wire broke right at the plug. I fixed it then my passenger side blinker/brake went out. So i took the plug down cut it off, put new pigtails in it and put 3" leads on it, took about an inch off each wire and soldered it all up. Might get rid of the plug like you said, but for now its ok.

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Kurt-

You mean you did something today ???? WOW LOL

J/k

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's only a matter of time till the rest of the wires in the plug fail. Once one goes, the rest will wait till it's snowing and you need backup lights. Or the State Trooper stops you and decides to safty check the truck. Does your emergency brake work? They make you show them it works.