1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no tail lights and brake controller question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highlander316, Apr 28, 2008.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

ok I just picked a 97 Chevy 3500 w/ a 454 and 5sp. For some reason none of the rear tail lights work (although I could have sworn they did when I bought the truck last week), but the trailer lights work. There are aftermarket reverse lights that work, and the truck has some gay aftermarket altezza tails (those don't work). What should I look for, and which fuse would it be in the fuse block? I don't have manual for the truck.

Also, I need to put a brake controller in this truck. Is there a pig-tail for a harness, or am I going to have to hard-wire the truck, and what wires should I look for? I'm gonna be putting in a Tekonsha brake controller more than likely.

If there is any other info needed, let me know. thanks

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lights

they did not start even having a terminal that you could plug into until about 1998 ,don't know what the production date started at ,but you can look in the fuse block under the dash i cant tell you which it is but their is a small male spade connector sticking out .will have to use a test light and probe them while pushing the brake pedal .i e-mailed a request to gm truck body builder's web site while i worked for a body company ,and they faxed me a picture but this was on a 1998 and i did not want to hack the brand new truck harness,as far as the taillight's i take it from your post they are after market ? the factory taillight's had a circuit board in them .good luck !:salute:

3. highlander316

researched online some and think I got the brake controller situation under control (what wires to look for and stuff).

As for the tail lights, I'll have to crawl under there and start looking at the grounds and other stuff. Been POURING all day lol, so I'll probably check tomorrow if I get a chance. Found a diagram of the fuse block, so I'll check that too.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have two 98 Chevy trucks and both are wired for my Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. They have to be hard wired on this truck. If you look under the left hand side of the dash there is a conveinence center. At the bottom of it on the right hand side you will see a slot that says NAT that has two spades in it. The right hand spade is powered by your brake pedal and is what I used when I wired my controller in. Also at the bottom on the lower left hand side is a slot that says GREEN. There are three spades in it. I think the one on the left is a ground, the one in the middle is a continuous hot, and the one on the right is a switched hot. On my 1/2 ton truck I used the ground and continuous hot spade for my brake controller wire harness. My 1 ton truck already had the hot coming in from the underhood fuse box and I used that. Use a test light to make sure I told you right on the hot and ground spades. Good luck.

Wayne

5. highlander316

for the tail lights, I took it back to the dealer today. They are going to fix it since I just bought it (I've boughten a few vehicles from them, so they know me a little) and it is a safety hazard. I found all the wires for the brake controller, hopefully wire it up soon, when I get a free moment.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

did they get it fixed? what was it? i have one truck that i keep fuses in due to the fact that it keeps blowing them every 2-3 weeks. havent had a chance to figure out what the problem is. only know that there not working when i put my key in with the door open and theres no buzz sound. grab a 20amp fuse swap it out and go and plow. truck only see work duty so that means the warning light are on. post back and let me know what caused your light to stop working.

7. highlander316

i dunno, they said 'a wire.' Had to see the manager so it would get fixed, wasn't about to pay for it (only had the truck a month, drove less than 100 miles). Works now though.