1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Steering Wheel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Looks like something our friends at lawnsite might like! :nod:
  3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i think if people get used to it it will be better. they say it is much more precise and safer. that is what is used on bobcats cranes and lots of machinery
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chuck, you need to demo a Cat skid steer, a very similar setup!
  5. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 Member
    from SW Minn

6. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I agree with chuck I want to stay with a wheel.

How many skid steer go 55 mph... or here in the new england area 75 mph or faster ...... playing my younger one's games with a joystick and seeing how often I go off the road reminds me to keep the wheel.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

:nono: I don't think so. I will be fine with steering wheel and pedals.
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have no problem with sticks on machinery... as gslam said, it's the speed issue. Slower moving, precision control is great.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

No criticism here, but food for thought:

What do you suppose the reaction to the steering wheel was when it replaced the tiller? I wouldn't doubt it was similar. I won't condemn the system until I've tried it.

Another note: I'm not quite sure of the top speed of the F-16, rest assured it's substantial. It's also fly by wire with joysticks. I prefer to remain open to progress!
  10. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 Member
    from SW Minn

IMO it would take some time on the learning curve for many people to get the hang of a joystick type control. Look at the poor job they do with a steering wheel and its been around for ever.
    Also they don't let just anyone fly an F-16. Those pilots have above average reflexes and many hours of intensive training.
  11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Horrible thing!!!

No feedback... Push a joystick instead of a brake pedal? How do you know the presure? Spongy? Ice? hydoplaing?

Much much harder to control.
    A friend of mine who has been paralized from the waist down for the last 18yrs. When a truck driver fell asleep at the wheel, went into his lane & pinned him up against a guard rail. His father was killed. Well anyways he has the break & gas control buttons on the stearing wheel.
    Drove his van arround the one day, it has the normal pedals but I decided to use his controls for a bit & man was that screwed up.
    He hates driving in the winter, even rain.

Great now all we need is women painting their toenails while tring to drive.

Heck why not just let the passenger or your 12yr old kid drive the thing while your reading the morning news paper, talking on your cell phone, drinking your coffee, yelling at the screaming babies in the back, getting dressed, putting your shoes on, jaming to the radio & shaving all at the same time...
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I saw this truck in operation tonight on the History Channel's Modern Marvels, it didn't appear that the operator was having any problem piloting the truck. He was operating under ideal conditions though, with no traffic. I think it's an interesting concept.
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I guess I didn't remember this post as well as I thought! The truck I saw tonight was also made by Mercedes, and had 2 joysticks, one on each side. They didn't go into any details on the sticks' functions, but offered it as a glimpse into the future of trucking.
  14. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Most of the new large Front End Loaders have no steering wheels, they have just joysticks, I am talking about 10+yard machines, I know that the operators have no problem running them, I am sure after using them for a while it is just second nature and you dont even think about what you are doing. Just My two Cents