1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CT18fireman, Nov 4, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

1996 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 C&C Automatic
    Will not trip solenoid to starter
    Ignition sending voltage out when key is turned to start.
    If I jump the solenoid the starter works and truck starts in any gear. Thus I know truk will start and run.
    Once started reverse lights and alarm do not work.
    All fuses are ok.

I am thinking it is the neutral switch in the transmission. Looking for a little backup here. Anyone have a similiar thing happen ot any ideas?

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

By the info you've posted, it does sound like the neutral safety switch. Now, I'm not very familiar with Fords (or newer trucks in general) but - is it actually IN or on the tranmission, or bolted to the column under the dash like it is on older Chevys?

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

On the transmission. Ford will be open tomorrow and I will have to pick one up.

4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Was your diagnosis correct ?

5. DavidO

DavidO Junior Member
    from Georgia

I own a 2000 F350 and I seem to remember reading that it will not start if a break light is out. (For safety reasons) You might check that and make sure that you do not have a blown fuse somewhere.

6. DavidO

DavidO Junior Member
    from Georgia

OOPS. That should read brake light.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Nope brake lights were good as were all others and fuses. Sory I lost track of this post. It was the switch. Apparently it burned out from a driver leaving the key on without the truck running. I don't reall understand this happening but lesson learned I guess. Was easy and only $50 to replace.