1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyzrule810, May 5, 2012.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

1987 chevy K10 won't start.I tried putting some starting fluid in the carb and trying to start it but I it just sputters and then just cranks once the starting fluid burns off.I just got the truck today on a flatbed and I'm trying to get it started.Previous owner said he put a little gas in the carb and it started right up.I'm thinking it could be the carb.The top terminals look pretty burnt.Are they supposed to be burned? Maybe cap and rotor haven't taken it apart yet I want to figure out the problem before I start throwing parts at it.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Check for fuel delivery first and then check carb for it being dirty/clogged. A tune up should probably be done anyway and I wouldn't call that just throwing parts at it.

3. chevyzrule810

yeah I've yet to check the plugs and wires and see what they look like.And I wouldn't consider plugs and wires throwing parts at it.The engine is getting all redone eventually just trying to get it running and out of the garage as that where it was dropped.Spent a good part of the day fixing brake lines.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it sputtered with the liquid fire I would bet fuel issue. Did you pull the air cleaner, and look down the carb while working the throttle linkage?

5. chevyzrule810

yeah the guy I got the truck from said he poured a little gas into the carb and it started right up.I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and all it does is sputters and then cranks when the starting fluid burns off.This is my first old truck so I'm new to working on the older trucks.Any suggestions of what to do next?

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

'87, isn't that a throttle body injected engine? I would check fuel pressure, and then cap and rotor. Could be anything though, bad computer, ign control module ect...ect...ect...

7. chevyzrule810

its a throttle body injection.I disconnected the fuel lines from the back of the throttle body and cranked it but no fuel comes out of the lines.I'm thinking fuel pump.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure ur fuel filter is not plugged completly, long shot but posible. Did u try baging on the bottom of the tank to see if u can wake up the pump one final time. If that dont work, ck power and ground at the top of the tank for ur fuel pump.

9. chevyzrule810

taking the bed off tomorrow so the frame can be sandblasted and will check the pumps (its dual tank.I have 5 relays up under the steering in a group and I'm trying to figure out if one of them is the fuel pump.Would there be any other relays in the truck besides those?