1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EIB, Sep 2, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3l V6 vortec. It will not start. It has no fuel pressure. I'm thinking fuel pump, but I wanted to make sure. Were do they put the fuel pump, on the frame rail or in the tank? I want to check for power at the pump.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Fuel pump is inside the gas tank. Mike

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Take a BFH and rap on the tank a few times and if it starts there is your problem.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You can do what snowjoker suggested, BUT someone has to be spinning the motor over while someone else is rappin away on the gas tank. Me personally, I like to use a rubber mallet to give the gas tank a few good whacks, not anything metal that may do damage to the tank itself. "IF" it is indeed the pump itself, this "usually" will make the vehicle start once more or so, but not always, sometimes they are just burnt out completely and rappin away on the tank means nothing. Mike

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a fuel pump relay,and test connector under the hood.Check them to make sure.You should hear the relay click when you turn the key on,and shutoff a sec or two later.Check the 15 amp ECM fuses,as they power the pump.

You can also squeeze your hand in above the tank and disconnect the fuel pump connector,and check for power there when cranking,or for a sec or two when the key is first turned on.

The BFH trick works sometimes too.