1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No start on 94 F-150, wyldman help!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I took our 94 F-150 shop truck out to a job today, and when I went to leave the damn thing wouldn't start, just clicking! Lucky its a stick and I was parked on a hill, so I just pop started it. When I got back to the shop I took all the connections apart on the solenoid cleaned them, then it started, so I turned the truck off and tried it again, did this 5 times and it worked every time. So I figured problem solved, but I was wrong. I took the truck home for lunch, came out and it wouldn't start again, so this time I had to push the truck down the street about a block (got some really funny looks from the one nieghbor) to a little hill and again pop started it. I took it to the shop and cleaned all the connections, battery, starter, and solenoid again. Nothing, same problem, no start. So I got a new solenoid (fender mounted one), and still nothing not even the click anymore. I took the starter out and I am going to try and get it to the rebuild shop tomorrow. I did notice that when I took the starter out it was designed like a Chevy starter with a solenoid on the starter body. I am thinking that this it the problem, but I don't know for sure. What do you guys think??

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Are you sure when you put on the new solenoid, you put the wires back on the new one EXACTLY how they came off the old one? Is there a chance you put the wires on wrong? What I would have done before taking the starter out, would be to tap on it lightly WHILE someone is in the truck holding the key all the way over. Make sure its in PARK when you do this and be very careful while under the truck. Mike

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if its a series of clicks usually a weak batery
    one click starter or selonoid

check the light duty wire at starter
    if it gets corroded will not start

cardoctorpumpkin:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds like a starter.You should still hear the remote solenoid on the firewall clicking though.Check and make sure it's hooked up correctly so you havn't created another problem.It must also ground to the fender,so make sure the bolts are clean and tight,and not stripped.They tend to strip,being self tapping,and it won't get a good ground.The replacement solenoid may also have two small terminals.One marked "S",and one marked "I".You need to make sure the small wire is on the "S" terminal.

If it's clicking,and your getting power through it when you turn the key,it's OK.

You can then check for power at the starter.Should have constant power on the large battery cable,and power with the key turned to start on the smaller wire on the starter solenoid.If all these check out,replace the starter.

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

OK, well here is what I found out... The solenoid on the starter was bad, so instead of the bill being $116 plus tax to get the starter rebuilt, it only cost me $57 and a little skin off of one knuckle. Thanks tons for all the input!!!

Later guys