1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no spark...again

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thebigB, Nov 27, 2011.

1. thebigB

thebigB Junior Member

I have a 1993 F250 with a 351 engine, about two weeks ago I lost spark, narrowed it down and replaced the coil, afterwards it started and ran great for about two weeks. After two weeks it started giving me a hard time starting again and yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Going through the trouble-shooting process as best I know how I noticed that when I turned on the ignition, the fuel pumps were running continuously, not the normal just to pressurize the system...I researched this online and decided it was probably a bad relay for the fuel pumps and that as long as the pumps are doing the initial priming the engine isn't suppose to start. So I turned the ingition again and this time I tapped the fuel injector rail and the pumps stopped and when I cranked the motor the truck immediately started and ran good for a few minutes and then just shut off...I shut off the ignition again and tried to restart it, now the fuel pumps are running normally just to pressurize the system and shutting off on their own but again I have no spark...My question is, is it possible for a bad fuel pump relay to cause a no spark situation, or is it something else and just coincidence the way this played out...Thanks in advance for any help.

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The fuel pump relay has nothing to do with no spark, however the EEC power relay does. It is the brown one next to the green fuel pump relay. I doubt that is it though. You probably have a bad ignition modue or stator (ignition pickup coil). This gives the PIP signal to the ECM and tells the injectors when to fire as well as "talks" to the ignition module. The stator is inside the distributor and requires removal of the dist. shaft and gear. I have done tons of these way back in the day.
    T.J.

3. thebigB

thebigB Junior Member

Thanks a lot for the response....so if it is the stator, in the distributor, it would have nothing to do with the other issue with the fuel pumps? or could it? or was the fact that the two issues alternated just coincidence because like I said when I lost spark the fuel pumps started working as they should which made me think it was a related issue. Again thanks for the response..

4. thebigB

thebigB Junior Member

Thanks again for the response....swapped the ignition control module with the one I replaced last year that would quit working once it heated up and again have spark so that is the problem...

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Replace the ignition module with the heavy duty one. Make them test it before you take it. I have had 2 bad right out of the box. Another died 5 minutes after the truck started again! Date your distributor cap.I write it right on it with a marker. Get the heavy duty one / rotor it's tan. I have found they are good for 2 years then you have starting problems on a plow truck.
    If you have the two pump system. One in tank, one on frame rail. You should hear 2 relay's click, then the pressure regulator go " Vert". This means you reached pressure and it bled it down. When it's running pull the vacuum line off the regulator. The idle should increase. If not make sure you have vacuum to the line. If you have it and no increase I would consider replacing the pressure regulator. Use new plastic retainer clips anytime you disconnect a fuel line. Never reuse them!
    Check your vacuum reservoir can on right front fender liner. If it's the metal can one it may be rusted out and that's why you have no vacuum to regulator. If it is I can save you $40 fixing it. Any-other problems? Ask away, I know a bit about your engine and truck systems.

6. thebigB

thebigB Junior Member

thanks for the help, I appreciate it...