1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Spark 2002 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wng-2, Mar 17, 2015.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Original problem was no crank/no start. Determined the starter was working with a jumper wire. Got the truck running and next day drove to mechanic's shop. Further investigation revealed the purple wire going to the starter was broken at the terminal on the starter. This was stripped and replaced and placed on the stud temporarily to test. He cranked and the starter cranked. I was watching and noticed a large spark due the terminal being loose on the stud. Finally found a nut to thread onto the corroded stud. Tested again, the started cranked, but no start. Further diagnosis revealed no spark. All fuses have been checked, and a couple relays in the under hood fuse box swapped around. It should be noted that this truck (had) a remote start system that was on the vehicle when I bought it in June 2005. The rest of yesterday afternoon was spent finding and removing this. Still no joy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Your on the right path. When I worked at the dealership, most of the no start complaints were directly related to aftermarket remote starters. IF you have it all removed and all the OE wires are reconnected, you may be looking at crank/cam sensors, if not all OE wires are reconnected, get that done first. With a simple scan tool, you should be able to tell if the crank/cam sensors are reading while cranking the vehicle
  3. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Thanks for the reply! The OEM wires have all been reconnected. The truck has been throwing a code for a crank position sensor for years, I had (a different) mechanic try to solve that to avail last year. The crank position sensor code is currently the only code showing.
  4. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Junior Member

What brand crank sensor did you use? What is the code number it is showing? If the crank sensor has failed or a wire is broken to it, the truck will not run. It will shut off the coils and possibly the fuel injectors. Crank sensors are common on that generation of trucks.
  5. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I'm not sure what brand, or if the crank sensor was even replaced by the other mechanic, the code was never cleared. I will pass this on to the current mechanic, and find out the code number. Thanks very much.
  6. Absolute87

Absolute87 Junior Member

Did you check for any broken grounds or bad grounds? Had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
  7. wng-2

wng-2 Member

What type and location of grounds? The ground strap for the fuel fill has been hanging all winter.........:eek:
  8. loyjms

loyjms Member

My money is on the crank sensor, replaced a few of those on these year trucks.