1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by R.S. Services, Dec 24, 2011.

1. R.S. Services

R.S. Services Junior Member

all this truck and no snow plow truck.jpg

plow truck.jpg
  2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice setup, what spreader do you have in there?
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes it is a good thing not to have snow. OK by me as I am getting paid wether it snows or not. The biggest benefit is that it gets rid of alot of the 1 truck wonders (beer money plowers) that plague this industry. These guys generally don't have seasonal money coming in, so they give up when there isn't any source of income.
  4. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

You couldn't have said it better..... Been beautiful so far, hope it keeps up!!!!!
  5. SilverLT2

SilverLT2 Senior Member

Nice rig Thumbs Up what are some specs on that thing?
  6. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

But bad for us just adding a service and have bills to pay, and reserves are running low... and dont bid seasonal because it is our first year..not to mention its not advised..thats just my opinion, but I am going to stick it out either way
  7. Metro Lawn

I am guessing that you have an existing lawn biz. You added plowing as an additional service to offer your clients. If you have been doing this any period of time then you know that you must budget your summer money to sustain yourself through the winter (with or without plowing). I always leave myself enough to make it to the next season without any winter income, but as it turns out the winter income sustains me through the summer as I make much less during the summer as I do in the winter.
  8. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Yes I have budgeted, but you have the pop up things, for me its my truck, hence me purchasing another in spring....Im not downing seasonal..but it urks me when guys act like so "Mocho" per se about it
  9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It's not that bad sitting around getting paid...Only thing better would be trace to 1" snows everyday until spring...Then I might feel a little guilty, probably not though.
  10. Metro Lawn

I myself do not really care for seasonals. I only take a few (about $6000 a month worth) to keep the bills paid. The other 90% of our work is by the push. The one benefit is all the saltings. We haven't plowed yet, but still salted 7 times so far. We actually make more money salting than plowing so all is good so far. Fear not, the snow will come, it always does.
  11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I do think we're going to get smacked hard, when it does hit us, especially those of us in the lake regions. While I don't wish hardship on anyone, I see 2 good things from all of this warm weather. 1.) It will hopefully help cause some correction with the whole supply-demand being so far out of synch. 2.) The last 10 years or so have gotten more challenging to get per service contracts in the heavy snow belt areas. Back in the early 90's when we had some warm months, it did help balance things out a bit when it came to decision making the following season.
  12. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

Its just a matter of when!! lol. Here in my part of the country out of our hundred and some accounts at least 75% are gravel driveways.... no salting there :nono: The only truck with a salter is my 2008. The only reason why i got it is because it came on the truck. Other than that it doesnt make sense for ME. Yes its a good business but when you got a lot of gravel places they sort have a natural salt built in.
  13. R.S. Services

R.S. Services Junior Member

its a salt dog spreader with a western wide out plow
  14. Metro Lawn

Yeah, I can understand your issues with gravel drives. We don't do residential so I feel for ya.
  15. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I know the feeling. Nice truck :)
  16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It will all even out.Last year our 1st storm didn't come until dec 26.The rest is history!
    The only problem will be waiting for Jan billings, no payments till mid feb.Been a long time
    with no plowing in Dec.That oct storm helped out though.Hang in thereThumbs Up
  17. snowdance

snowdance Junior Member
    from Ontario

No snow here, I can wait as I am still gettin paid. It will come though.
  18. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Hey coldcoffee. My cousins live out in Chardon and pay $250.00 for the whole season for their driveway to get plowed. Is this the correction you are talking about, you know where Chardon averages well over 100" per season? I heard eastside of Cleveland is not worth the time anymore since everything is bid so cheaply. How can someone do it for that in 100"+ area?
  19. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Couldnt agree more salting $$$
  20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The truck looks great.