1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no snow no money?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jacob land and, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

my plan for next year is to buy a 2006 dodge 3500 stake truck, with a blizzard 810 and a 1-2 yard salt hopper. that is a lot of money that would be pretty much sitting if i had bought it all this year...what have you guys been doing with no snow, i know you have plenty of things going on like maintenance, and so on. but i am talking about the money issue, i woudnt hesitate to go out and get all the new stuff if i could afford it for sure, but what would i do to make the payments? i own a lawn and snow company so i dont have any other buisness going on in the winter, yet. what are you guys doing to make ends meet?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try for the seasonal contracts, no snow means payup

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Other jobs.....I work another full-time job. It really does suck; I wish we all could make a living in the snow biz...:) :)

4. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

If you own a lawn biz why would it be sitting all this year, clean ups will be starting in like 5 weeks!? The best way to afford truck payments is not to have them!!!

5. JTSGrounds

JTSGrounds Junior Member

contracts

last year all of our customers signed contracts - like they all knew something I didn't, this year we had about half contracts, half pay per push/salt. so far we're doin' ok. already puttin in bids for lawns.

6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

What I do to make ends meet is: I start my mowing season out by setting a budget. You have to know what your spending limits are. Than I put back a majority of my profits in the bank to more than cover my off season. Because we don't get alot of snow here. Average snow fall about 18" per season. So any snow work we get is just bonus $$. The key to making payment is to only make 1 payment. That means pay cash for your stuff, than you don't have to worry about payments when it does'nt snow. There were several guy that went out and bought plows after our100 yr 24" snow fall in December 04' and they are still trying to pay them off. My lesson to them is if you can't afford it , don't buy it .:D

7. right on

i know personally that payments suck. i owed 10,000 a month before i ate. lost it all including the payments,know i own 3 snow plows and NO PAYMENTSregards gary snow, georgian bay ont. ca.

8. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Ya, the banks and creditors are vicious... they really don't give a sh!t if you can afford stuff, they just want the intrest and if you don't pay, you just become a write off to them

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Personally, I would say not do buy a new truck just for snow.

I plow with a 2005 Dodge Ram QC. I have the truck anyway for moving horses and equipment. When it's not snowing I work 7 days a week.

I have a monthly gaurentee for the company I sub for which just allows me to make ends meet with payments, but my other job pays for my living expenses.

If I could do it again, I would buy a 5 year old truck with no payments.