1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No snow how do you treat your employees?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Jan 29, 2015.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

What do you do when there's no snow?

Anyone with seasonals make money but what about your on call guys that are waiting for the call that never comes !!

How do you keep guys that haven't worked in weeks? You know the ones that are at your beckon call waiting on you 24/7 waiting to plow?

Do you think this year will have an effect on how many guys you are able to retain next year?

Do you compensate them at all or is it tough **** or do you have a you make this much if it doesn't snow at all policy?
  2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

My guys are laid off equipment operators, so the less I call the happier they are. I do have 1 guy who I have do shop work if it's slow. I buy projects fix then sell, if it's slow I have him fix it to give him some hours.
  3. GM Landscape

GM Landscape Junior Member

Two of ours are part time so they will call in to other job during plowing times and our third guy basically lives off his girlfriend all winter......like a sugar mommy I guess.
  4. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

My hero!!!
  5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Where do I sign up?:nod:
  6. GM Landscape

GM Landscape Junior Member

I don't know, he's a middle aged goofy guy that quits his summer jobs and sits home all winter only getting paid when we plow and she treats him like the cats meow.
  7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I will take two of those please. :nod:
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My help are all contractors,carpenters,plumbers,electricians etc or family.They don't care if it snows or not.Got me not caring either lol.
  9. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

It's rough. This year I'm hurting, they are hurting, we all are hurting.

When they do work, I pay them well, and a winter season bonus at the end of the year. However, the winter season bonus is based on the hours they worked over winter season. I have had a lot of turn over this year, but my key employees have remained intact. I've got very loyal key employees. They know its not my fault its not snowing. They know I want and need it as bad as they do.
  10. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Pay them a stanby fee based on a portion off a typical year. For most this is a few hundred a paycheck but means they have some guaranteed income and keeps them happy and ready for when snow does hit. Some handy guys stay on all winter repairing and servicing equipment for the summer season.
  11. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

One guy is laid off all winter so he just likes to hang around and help me out. My driver of my second truck owns his own construction business and his customers know that he plows when its snowing and gets their work done when he can, he also gets to use my shop for prepping material his jobs which makes him happy. My third guy who is my actually employee during the summer picked up an afternoon shift at a local farm. I offered to lay him off and go on unemployment and just call him in when needed but he chose to grab another job and be available for me in the morning.
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Same with us... it sucks, this year in NJ started off so slow, no work for anyone and guys i hired and or retained from last year, took jobs by jan 1st 2015.. so it left us understaffed suddenly just because the lack of snow or ice.