1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No snow here in Minnestoa St Paul

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gordonb, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gordonb

gordonb Junior Member
    from st paul

I am just starting out plow and there has been on snow here in my area. Is there any other plowers in my area that communicate on this site.
  2. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

hi gordon, welcome to PS. im right over the river from you in Hudson. Lets keep praying for some more snow!!!!!:)
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is all kinds of memebers all over the country. Check everyday you will see.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite gordon,

Winter's not over yet.:nono: Hopefully you get some more before it's over.:D
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

hey, it took us 8 weeks to get a plowable event, finally got it. Trust me it's not over, be patient it's coming :D
  6. GPB

GPB Member

Hey gordonb,
    Im from Princeton, which is 30 miles east of St.Cloud. I too have had to watch my plow sit and gather dust in the shed this winter. Its been over a month since I had to plow. Who would have thought Minnesota would be brown this time of year.
  7. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I have not worked since Dec 29 (.75" snowfall). This season started out strong, I don't know what to think anymore. I started daydreaming about cutting grass today.
  8. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Hey there, butler L&S...

I don't know about the daydreaming of lawn service, but the lack of snow is getting to me a bit too.

I'm sitting here, watching the "flurry" that's happening right now and thinking about the bundle I dropped this season on new equipment and which boot I should wear when I kick myself in the arse... But who's to know about weather anyway.

But (here's an attempt on optimisim) it ain't over yet....

Come on!!! All you Minnesotans!!! Strap on those goatskin leggings, light the fires and do the snow dance!!!!
  9. hglc

hglc Junior Member

i also have be dreaming of mowing some grass. but i have been try to get the tax man happy.
  10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Dude, this thread was started in 2004 :dizzy:
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

He is right tho....not much snow in the last 2 weeks anyway.
  12. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

took care of 1 inch in Plymouth today....YEAH!:p
  13. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

"1 inch", or "ehhhh...... onnnnne inch"?

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did I mention that I have not been out since the 17th of Dec !
    This is the 3rd year of NO SNOW in OHIO !
    It's hard to slide a newer truck past the Wife when I have not made much money for yet another season!
  15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

well in jerzee were the same way. are winters coming to an end...?///
  16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am from Arden Hills and got a light dusting last night. The wind will probably blow it away today.

Yesterday (1-17) i was flying our plane down near Albert Lea and could see weather off in the distance. Crossed my fingers that it would come up this way. No such luck :gunsfiring:
  17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Apparently gordonb never did get the snow he was looking for, only 2 posts since 2004.

But.... his point is still well made.

Middle of January, and at most we've plowed 8 times. Not 8 events, just 8 times, meaning the commercials would have been plowed multiple times for the same event.

The contracts were looking good for November, absolutely no snow, so it was all income, no expenses other than the truck / plow payments, misc. operating expenses.

Then December hit with the 4-8" snowfalls in the first week of the month, just in time to send out the invoices after not doing anything for November, which is always nice, to show we really DO do work for what we charge.

Then the contracts took a little beating the week of Christmas, with plowing and cleanup just about every day that week. Things were starting to look a little dreary on the contract end of the business, even though the hourly / per time accounts were bringing in the dough then.

Now here we are, Jan 20, and the contracts are pulling through again. Looking on the weather.gov site, no real snowfall for the next 7-10. If that follows through, then the contracts will be evened out again, back in my favor.

I base my contracts on 18 events / year, basically 3 per month from November through April. With the 8 in December, I was behind slightly, but it's looking like it will probably all even back out again by the end of the month.

Good luck to you guys that are all per time / per inch......