1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NO SNOW--Do you Charge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coastaldc, Oct 14, 2011.

1. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

I am wondering if other contractors build a clause into their per push contracts that protect them when there is no snow for a period of time.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes,it's called seasonal contracts.

3. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

no you dont get paid its per push not season

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

yes seasonal does help when snow is light

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I really hope you're kidding...

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He's figuring in reverse, Guys with seasonal contracts with a cap. So he's doing per push and if it don't snow they still owe him 5 pushes per month!

7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I ll take that!!!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a bill for not plowing your driveway.....But I did a great job.

9. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I know it hasn't snowed for 6 weeks , but I was ready

10. ManorD24

ManorD24 Member

I know of guys who do something similar for commercial accounts. They consider it a management or retainer fee. They charge a fee of one or two pushes and then deduct from the first time it snows. I think only once in the last 10 years have they not had a season to credit the fee towards an event.

11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Our per push clients pay for 12 pushes minimum. No cap. Only one winter in the thirty five years that I have been plowing was there less than 12 pushes.

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

"So i hope you were happy with my non service, That will be $200 please"

13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

seasonal contract is the way to go...based on average events you really can't go wrong.

14. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Hang on, I gotta go pay McDonalds for the big Mac I could have ate.

15. coastaldc

coastaldc Junior Member
    from 04401

haha, glad I could amuse some of you. Reason for asking is a few other "professionals" in the area are doing just this. Mostly in Rockland...

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Companies with their name on the truck?

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Have you ever looked at it from the customers perspective? What whould you say if you were them?

18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

For anyone that has a problem with a retention fee system. Don't knock it, there are advantages for the customer over seasonal pricing. Usually a retention fee is a lot lower then a monthly contract, which means if you get a light winter, the customer is paying less then if they had went seasonal and it still secures some monthly income for the contractor. It gets applied to the monthly bill anyways, and most good contractors well carry it forward for the season, so if it didn't snow in October but snowed a bunch in November, the fee you collect in October gets applied to Novembers bill. Also when we do a retention fee, we usually make it the equivalent of one push for the month and offer a minor discount for a customer who signs up with a retention amount, usually a 5% reduction on the hourly cost. It is a good alternative for customers that don't wish to do seasonal/monthly contracts.

19. buckwheat_la

For everyone who is knocking retention fees, how do you deal with seasonal contracts? Do you apologize when you have no snow for a month and yet collect a check?

20. buckwheat_la

Look at it this way, a retention fee is the compromise between a contractor that wants seasonal and a customer that wants per push/hourly