1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No sleep for nothing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you hate it when your up every hour because it is snowing but not a lot, but you have to make sure you get out as early as possible so as to get your route done before morning commute. Last night I went to bed at 1am, got up at 2--not enough, got up at 3:30am, still not enough, finally at 5am I went out and did my commercial lots just to do something but there was barely 2". So much for the 4-6" lake effect.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Got to love those nights :rolleyes:
  3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I hear ya. Weathermen said 2-4" by morning. Got trucks ready t go on Sat. Got the game plan together. Crews went to bed early...get up at 4:30 this morning...1\2 on the ground...sucks!!!! :realmad:
  4. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Is there any way around getting up every hour on the hour ? Do any of you subscribe to any services like AccuWeather's snow alert , and if so is it worth it ?
  5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Ditto here in jersey. Got up at 3:00AM and out on the road by 3:30AM for only 1 inch. BUMMER!
  6. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Yeh I was doing the same thing last night. And guess what got nothing. NO SNOW!!! oh well better luck next time. It is cold though. Glad I did not go with my friends to Vermont to snowboard, they are freezing their you know whats out there (hahaha). STILL NO SNOW :mad:
  7. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Weathermen said we should expect 3-5 inches by this morning's commute. So, I got my rig set and went to bed early. Woke up at 3:00am to find barely a coating of snow on the ground. In the end, I think we got about an inch or so...ugh!! :mad:
  8. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

:yow!: YES! 5 inches of snow here in Newport, NH!!! :drinkup: Free root beer tonight!!!
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Personally I think it is worse when it snows heavy at 5am and then all the customers want to know why their lot wasn't done by 7am... Hey I don't make the weather!!! It looks bad when that happens though, because its not like THEY were up at 2am and then 4am etc watching the weather, all they see is 7am when they get there.
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I feel like this is all my fault because I hooked up yesterday in anticipation of possible plowable snow today, so of course, we didn't get it. My driveway had a whole 3/4 of an inch on it.

This SUC#S!!!!!!!! If I didn't have a frigging plow, I know we'd have gotten about 8 inches today. There's some little ******* sitting up in the heavens who has nothing better to do than look down on me and say, "Hmmmm, how can we screw Johnny today?????" I'm going to set up the umbrella on my deck and make a pitcher of margaritas, because I know it'll probably be 80 on New Year's Day :angry:

I want a blizzard so bad it's not funny. I want morons in lines 10 deep at the markets buying 10 loaves of white bread and 8 gallons of milk. I want kids jumping for joy at a week out of school, and guys fighting over shovels and ice melt at Home Cheapo. But most of all I want to be sitting in the cab of my truck after finishing my route, drinking my last cup of luke-warm coffee out of my thermos at 5 in the morning and listening to the absolute silence of "nobody's going anywhere today". I want to feel the warmth of the heater and the smile that spreads over my face when I think about how much FUN I just had making a SH*@LOAD of money payup . And I want it NOW!!!!!

It's A WONDERFUL LIFE......................I feel like the "George Bailey" of the snow removal industry. Ok, I guess that's it for my venting. Thanks for putting up with it, I just HAD TO!!! :gunsfiring: "dustings"
  11. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

LOL!!!! I'm no expert, but I think you might have issues!!!! :dizzy:
  12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ya think???? :)
  13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey John, how have you been? Did you move from Middleboro to Taunton? You guys must have gotten some, I plowed today about 15 drives and helped a friend with some lots in Norwood (1" triggers sometimes just scrape them at 1/2"). I think you will get more snow inland a ways in Taunton then you did in Middleboro!
  14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

about 6" here, more than predicted. Great plowing snow, nice and light.
  15. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hey Chris.......I've been fine, except for my brief meltdown above :dizzy:
    Yep, I moved on 12/1 to Taunton, love it here, much bigger house, 2 car garage, huge deck, shed.......beautiful. But no snow! Like I said above, we just got little more than a dusting.

How the hell did you plow 15 drives today???? I was in Norwell doing a side job (plumbing) and they didn't get much more than an inch or 2. Is there some magic snow cloud hanging over Randolph or something????? 1" triggers.......boy do I envy you, all those big spenders. All my customers are as cheap as the day is long, 4" triggers for me so far. You must have a horse shoe stuck where the sun don't shine my friend!

I hope you didn't get stuck in that nightmare on Rt 1 in Norwood. Did you see those zipper-heads from the DPW out there for 6 hours trying to shut that water main off??? That's a disgrace. There must've been millions of gallons of water wasted, it was a 24" main that was feeding the hydrant that moron drove into this morning. I bet some heads will roll as a result of it, imagine the DPW not knowing where the shut off valve is? Too much time driving around doing nothing in town trucks and smoking bones instead of knowing the job I think.

Anyway, I just got a road job with a HOA in Middleboro so if it ever does snow here in shang-gri-la, maybe I might make a few bucks. Glad you're doing well so far this season, somebody has to! Talk to you, take care and you and your family have a nice holiday now!
  16. osbo68

osbo68 Member

Hey derekbroerse I agree with you 100%. Damn Snow :angry: But you gotta love it! :bluebounc
  17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you John, happy holidays to you as well!! Glad to hear the move went well, Taunton is a nice town! No no magic snow cloud I wish, we probley got the same amount as you saw in Norwell, maybe a tiny bit more. Alot drifted up to about 2" in some drives and the elderly are worried about slipping. The rest of the customers don't care, as long as they can drive over it without a problem. Most don't start chirping until at least 5" by which time i should have alredy plowed them. All towns areound here used tons of salt today. Yes I was stuck in the mess on RT 1 for about 10 minuites, i knew a few shortcuts to get the hell out of it though, it would have taken quite a while if i had stayed on 1. My friend in norwood plows and sands commercial, one of his employees did not show up and he was short a guy so i helped him. Most parking lots he does had to be scraped before deicing materials were put down, so i figured since i was done with my drives that i would help him. I used my truck, then parked it and drove one of his salting rigs at an apartment complex. Only the second time i have ever spread anything, i spent too much time worrying about what the dam spreader was doing as a result i almost whacked the 9'2" V-Plow on some parked cars :cry:
  18. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of guys lost a lot of sleep!!

Actually, the answer might be to make a snow alarm that wakes you up if a certain amount sticks to the ground. Kinda like a rain gauge attached to an alarm.

Thoughts?? :rolleyes:
  19. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

In my area i'm good friends with 4 other plowers. We usually take a time to watch...i'll take 1 am then next is 2 am ect., and if there is enough snow to plow the person on watch starts the phone chain in motion. this works pretty well,and allows all of us a good nights sleep if theres not enough to plow.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Waited around until 4AM, went home, shaved, went to work. :mad: