1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no signed contracts still

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fireside, Sep 22, 2010.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I'm just wondering how ever ones doing getting signed contracts this year. I have lots of bids out with no movement as of of today. I have seen bids that were sumitted that are half of what i bid . I have not gone up in three years just trying to stay in line with what everyone is bidding. I just would like to keep what i had last year. I'm starting to get worried even my long standing accounts are dragging there feet.
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone I've talked to said they have not even thought about winter yet, very par for the course

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

its likely because everyone and their mother is a landscape/plow guy now and bidding 1/3 of what jobs are worth.
  4. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Before I got into the snow game I , I used to wait till late oct to get snow removal lined up for the commercial properties I own. Property owners/managers tend to wait till right before the season. I know how you feel but its par for the course.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have my main large acct with a verbal agreement, hopefully signed in the next few days. A smaller one locally that I've had for several years I assume I'll have. Some other potentials are just that.......seems to be early, although it isn't. Lowballers surely aren't helping. I try to preach service but some of them obviously let it boil down to price.
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have all but one signed. Things get started a little earlier here. We are about a month away from plowing.
  7. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Very common here, all my contracts are out and are slowly coming back. I used to get worried when I heard nothing back for a while but realized people arent or dont want to think snow in early September. Year after year people love waiting till the first flakes are about to fly, and then send the contracts back.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There's no rhyme or reason around here. Last year it seems we were picking up contracts up in late October but this year it seems a lot of commercial's wanted to sign in Aug. or now. We got all of our stuff back we had last year and a few new one's. It's the big contracts, the ones you need to buy equipment and have a definite plan of attack for that seem to be taking forever. My advice, keep calling, I dont mean every day but once a week is fine. Explain to them you need to get things in order on your end so you can service them the right way and time is of the essence. As far as residential's, usually when snow is actually falling,lol. Hang in there. Got to love the stress.
  9. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I go after seasonal in august...Don't usually get replies or packages until September. Get the jobs by October. Those are from places with property managers though. From direct customers we get them late in the season. We talk our way into getting about 10 or so small businesses before Nov. At the end of snow season we do it all again. That's usually when we get most of our full contract and multi-year contracts. Plowing is fresh in their minds, and they are ready to have mulch and maintenance done....selling season ladies! yupp. that's right. Most snow sales take place in the spring for the next year on commercial.
  10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We sent renewals in April, they dribble in all year, so far we have about 50% back and some new work signed. We set a Nov. 15 deadline, send a letter around Nov 1.
  11. Bmsnow

Bmsnow Member

I give early bird discounts of 25.00 if they sign up by October 1st.... that usually gets alot of contracts in
  12. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Only $25 dollars? Oh wait signed up. I have an upfront balance discount. I take applications from small businesses for our flat rate service. If they apply and I approve them I offer an incentive...X amount off if paid by Y date. It makes it more of a gamble but gives me money to use as a forced savings (collateral) against equipment loans ect. Or just take that money and buy your commodities that you need (de-icers).
  13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

This is the most stressful time of year, I have all but 1 renewal back, have gotten a few new ones, but not enough......I never stress about the work getting done, its always about getting them signed up.
  14. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Found out yestreday i lost two contracts i have been servicing for 10 years. The owners stated it was only due to price that they never had to worry about it being done and are service was great. He did tell me what there price was if i wanted to match it. It was 60 percent less than i was getting. I did offer a reduced price but no wear near what they had quoted trying to keep them. He did tell me if things didn't work out i could have it back during the winter but it would dbe at the original price quote due to mid season.
  15. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Nearly 70% renewals back so far

a little ahead of schedule actually. In our 20 years of snow services, we have never seen the pricing pressures and number of new players in our market as we are seeing this year. I am sure we will lose a few, but if we lose them to price we can live with that, if we lose them due to poor service that's not acceptable. We place a date of Oct. 15th on our renewal form, if we do not recieve them by that date we send out a reminder giving them until Nov. 1st. If they do not respond they are not inclued in our route. Remember communicate with your existing clients, it's much harder to get new ones than it is to keep existing clients. On the wall is the following " Never forget who pays your wages and our bills, it's our customer's not us"
  16. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

This is very true, sucks but be ready to move on them the night before it snows. Goes this way for landscaping and maintenance here to. Most of the time it seems.