1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No shoes on a tripe edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tyler711, Mar 18, 2007.

1. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey guys,
    I did some searching first, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Is it alright to run a tripedge plow with the cutting edge on the ground? I have the sheos set about a half inch higher than the edge. But I've noticed that after just this year (not that much snow this year either) the outer edge of the cutting edge sits about 1/4" off the ground. The ends of it are wearing more, so they are wearing up higher than the center of the blade, due to uneven pavement I'm sure.

I know that changing the cutting edge on a full trip is easy, but it seems like it'd be a big job on my tripedge. Is it ok to run with the shoes up?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be. The only thing I can tell you is that all the straight blade plows atleast are going to wear like that.I haven't seen that problem on my vee blade. But like I said I don't think it would hurt any. It shouldn't be any different than a full trip mold board.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

The shoes are good for gravel and dirt areas so the plow doesnt dig in too much. If you only plow pavement take the shoes off it will scrape much better. We have never used shoes on our boss or fisher plow. The cutting edge will be fine thats what its made for
  4. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks, guys.

When a the edge wears down enough (which I think would take awhile with the half inch steel), do you replace the whole tripping edge?

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

you just replace the black cutting edge, its a slab of steel that is made to bolt right onto the trip portion of the plow. You can get them at your local dealer or many places online but then you will have to pay shipping costs. They usually run between 100 and 130 dollars depends on your plow.
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

every plow that i have seen, even v plows wear at the edges first. its just the nature of the beast.
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

My belief on why they wear the edges more: Every time you push with it angled the leading edge is going to dig in more. That and if it hits the ground from a bump or going around a corner its always the edges that hit. My self I never have run shoes, but I don't have any bottom trip edge plows. my buddy ran shoes with his Fisher but he was plowing all parking lots, thats a lot of wear.