1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Salting, How Much to Push??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by edunigan39, Dec 3, 2013.

1. edunigan39

edunigan39 Junior Member

Bidding this restaurant for snow removal, Curious how much I should Tell him per push and how much MORE $ I should charge if the snow fall is heavier. Any help would be great! Thank You. I will be plowing it with a Boss 8'2 V Plow.

He does NOT want any Salt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I know what I would charge, 11k for the season.

3. edunigan39

edunigan39 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply! But they won't pay anywhere near $11,000 for 4 months of just plowing. Thanks though

4. grandview

Why waste your time then?

5. edunigan39

edunigan39 Junior Member

$11,000? That's $2,750 a month. I'll be lucky to plow it 3 maybe 4 times a month and there will only be maybe MAX 1-4" each snow fall, unless we get a decent snow fall of 6-8". But those are so sporadic . This parking lot will only take 40 minutes maybe an hour MAX, each time to push. I'm thinking like $75 a push.

6. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

I don't know if Grandview was including plow only or salting with walks ect? But also have to think about travel time there and there opening time. If you can plow it a little later into the 9-10am range it could be a win win for your route! If your other plowing is complete at that time.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

$100 per visit with 2'' trigger If it was here

8. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

bases off how many event grandview? or is that proprietary imformation? anywho...I personally think $75 is pretty low for that lot. Every market is different, but here in Indianapolis I think somewhere around $175 would keep me in the black.

9. grandview

You need to figure 2 plows with more snows unless you get lucky and it snows only at night and you can plow it once. Don't matter how much snow you get,its how many times you go out in a season.

10. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Edunigan 39 cant believe you only get 3-4 snows a month! You are in more snowy area then me. We have plowed most everyone 2-3 times in November already.
    Indplstim we could not get anything near that kind of money here. But you guys can get much more money in Indy. I Think $100.00 range we be good for us but depends on your overhead. But I would have little or no travel time to get there. We would leave a neighboring account at that price.

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

225 per push around here for 1-3" 125$ per salt appl.Seasonal around my area with only 10-15 events around 4500$.

12. leigh

from CT

Just noticed no salt. I personally would not do it.Salting is my cash cow, plus the slip and fall deal, waivers, trying to plow icy hardpack. That lot will be a skating rink by the time you plow it.It needs pretreat with all that traffic.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, he's close to Flint.

It's maybe a 45 minute lot.

Don't listen to the guys from 500 miles away, OP. Connecticut is NOT Flint, MI. Totally different environment.

$75 per push max. By me, it would probably go lower than that. In Flint, it's anybody's guess.

Besides, the OP's costs are not everyone else's costs. His business is different than everyone else's.

Sorry GV, but there's probably GM plants in Flint that don't go for $11K.

14. leigh

from CT

It's always surprising how much pricing varies. I didn't think that the cost of doing business varied that much. Truck , Ins, fuel, plow/sander pricing, rent etc seems to be similar no matter where you live. I know my personal expenses are high being in this area of CT. If I charged 75$ for that lot I would be taking money out of my pocket to pay subs! Oh well, stay safe and let's make some money! Darned recession/depression!

15. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

per push
    1-2 $150
    3-4 $250
    4-6 $350
    $100 every two inches up to 22 then it's $200 every two inches.

So you get an average of 16 events a year if you get 4 snow storms a month.

Take your base price times 16 = $2,400 and then double it to $4,800. there's your seasonal price.

Mind you, that is just for plowing only.

The price goes up for salting and sidewalks.

GV's price is good if your doing everything.

16. Antlerart06

What do you pay ur subs If you had 2 subs in this lots time frame be way less then 20min
    So what are you paying for your subs per hour??

17. leigh

from CT

70$ an hour.Doesn't matter how many plows are in the lot, still adds up the same,if not a little longer.(cluster,,,,) In 1987 we didn't know how much to charge, landscaper paid us 45$ hr, told us to bid our own job's at 2-3$ a minute. Never knew if was high or low, blissfully making good money all these years. Till I started looking at this site! Feel guilty at times. OP, guess you should listen to local /regional advice. And it's been stressed constantly.know your true costs! Unless your just making a few bucks for fun/ spending money.

18. Antlerart06

Cost out east is a lot higher then here Subs go from 35 to 50 here depending size of there plow
    Im in a small town to with 20,000 people

In a 2010 storm I hired 2 subs I paid them there asking price of 30 each I thought at end of day, I would pay them 45 each. Will come end of the day I only paid them what they ask they wasn't even worth that.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pricing like this will allow the OP to stay in a nice, warm bed every night. And not pay for his truck\plow.

$200\hour? For Flint?

Do some of you pay attention to the rest of the world? Most of Michigan has just been coming out of the recession it has been in for the past 12 years. We don't have the demographics that Connecticut has. Or NY. Or Joisey.

Throw in the fact that Flint\Detroit has been hit far worse than most of the rest of Michigan, and y'all are nuts for giving prices like this to the guy.

How\why would anyone even think about 2 trucks in that small of a lot?

leigh, to a certain extent you are correct. But, when you figure in actual cost of living in across the country, you are correct, regional pricing varies hugely.

Talk to peteo from Erie and ask what their hourly rates are.They are lower than what Flint would be.

The OP should have asked: "How long will this lot take me?" Then he takes his costs and profit desires and figures out his price.

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Did you actually take photographs of your computer screen?