1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No salt

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Nov 28, 2011.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I have a question how do I protect my self and my company when biding on a site that wants no salting

2. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

Because of cost or salt damage?

If cost.. nothing you can do unless you have wiggle room for infation, lol. Weigh whether the job is worth it to you.

If damage.. Can you offer alternatives?

Edit: Oh.. it just occurred to me you could be referring to legal stand point in case of injuries.. If so.. disregard my post. :D

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

legal stand point is correct

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Can you include that in your contract that you're not responsible for slips and falls?

5. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

Definite waiver!

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mine says customer must call for salting at additional charge.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Simple, state that in their contract. We either salt or we don't, no "on calls". Our's reads like this.....XYZ company contracted snow plowing only and respectfully declined any salting of the parking lot or sidewalk surfaces. As a result of no salting services JBL can not be held liable for any injuries due to any slippery condition as a result of snow plowing or any other winter weather condition's. I acknowledge and agree to the previous statement_________(thats where they sign their name and position). We're off the hook for any slippery condition.

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Hey Brian just wondering, even if you do salt the lot can you still have a waiver in the contract against liability for slips and falls??

9. Brian Young

Well you can put anything in a contract. I don't think I've ever seen that though. 9 out of 10 times if they would catch that they would not sign it is my guess.

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

It's in every one of our contracts. Never once have I had someone (that I know of) decline our contract because of this.

11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I'm asking because a friend of mine has a waiver in his commercial contracts, just wondering if that would hold water in court, I ll be sure to ask a biz lawyer, good to see other people use it.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen some larger companies put in their contracts "not responsibile for slips and falls". These days people seem to sue everybody involved. Whether or not they get money is another thing. You may still have to defend yourself if it goes far enough.

13. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

For sure!! If I had to worry about that.. I'd turn my service into carrying dumb people to their car.

14. Brian Young

Diversify! I fell out of my truck last year the second my foot hit the pavement or in this case the solid ice. I was pretty messed up back wise (I already have a bad back) but ended up with neck pain and my right arm was sore for months. This was in a large retailer parking lot...W-L M-RT, which of course was plowed like crap and only salted at the store front which I believe a lot of that was just from the doors opening up letting warm air out. I could probably be retired right now if I pursued it but really didn't feel the effects until a couple days later.

15. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

Sorry about that bud. That sucks. In a retail place like WLMRT and with the big money they spend on getting plowed, by the big biz plow companies.. and etc.. I could understand that being part of the responsibility. But had you sued.. who would you have gone after?

16. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I have a clause in ALL my contracts "Company will not be held responible for any human slips, falls or veichele accidents"

17. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Up here you have 2 years time to put your claim in! Which really does suck because by the time you find out there has been an accident the evidence has melted!

18. NickT

NickT Senior Member

What about non human??? :)

19. JunkFood331

JunkFood331 Junior Member

Ya, my dog slipped going to Petco and now you have to pay. lol I'm surprised i haven't heard a headline like that yet.

20. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

Oh give it time junk im sure some dumb idiot will come up with a lawsuit for that