1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No right angle on E-47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FBN, Dec 20, 2008.

1. FBN

FBN Member

I bought a used 87 GMC 3/4 ton off Ebay with a Meyer E-47 and C-8 blade. The plow was in the back of the truck at the time of purchase so I didn't get to try it out. My issue it that the plow will only angle left. If you try to go right the motor sounds like it's under a load and nothing happens. If my wife hold the switch to the right I can manually angle the plow but it won't hold the angle. I have tried 2 other pumps, changed the angle cylinders, hoses and quick connectors. I even tried 12V direct to the C coil on all 3 pumps with the same results. Is it possible I have 3 bad C valves? The coils all have magnetism when power is applied and I bench tested all the valves and they all move. Right now I'm pretty frustrated and had to make do with a bolt holding the plow straight ahead this last storm. I'd like to get this resolved before we get some real snow. Any Ideas since I'm all out!!!:angry:
  2. FBN

FBN Member

What? no one wants to help out a noob????? I have been plowing for 15 years and this thing has me stumped. I should have bought a Western:gunsfiring:ussmileyflag:drinkup:!!!
  3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like you tried replacing everything and still get the same results.

Where did the 2nd & 3rd pumps come from? Were they on working trucks/plows?
    Does the plow angle freely with the cylinders removed?
    If you switch the right and left hoses does it now angle right but not left?
  4. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Did you try manually angling the plow when you took the rams off? Sounds like an obstruction making the blade bind up.
  5. jwkv

jwkv Member

Have you hooked up an inline pressure gauge between the pump and the cylinder to see what you are getting.. it really does sound strange.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. FBN

FBN Member

I have not tried a pressure gauge yet but I have one I can try from work. I just got a seal/o-ring kit today and will be going through the pump that came with the truck in the next few days. The other pumps were fairly unknown but I was hoping for better odds. The plow angles fine without the cylinders and everything looks straight.
  7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Just a question or thought. Have you tried a different switch. It seems funny to have 3 pumps and they all do the same thing????? I think it might be a switch.
  8. wsmm

wsmm Member

Crossover valve????

Could it possibly be a bad crossover valve? Angelos has a good trouble shooting chart for meyers plows.

Good luck, Bill
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The meyer E47 defaults to the left. you could have had 3 bad C valves but that is unlikely. just as unlikely there are 3 bad pilot check valves or crossover reliefs, sort of points to the truck.

Here is the service manual

E 47/57

http://www.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-562 R16.pdf
  10. FBN

FBN Member

Thanks for the manual. On all 3 pumps I jumped 12v directly to the C coil while jumping the solenoid to run the motor and still no right angle. I bought a new angle switch anyway from NAPA but it is an aftermarket part and won't let the plug stay on. The spade terminals are slightly shorter than on the Meyer switch and I didn't want to start hacking up the wiring just then. I'm going to pull the original pump apart tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm guessing you have either missing parts, bad coupler(s) or a bad PA block. If you have been testing properly.
  12. FBN

FBN Member

I finally got to go through the pump and didn't find anything glaringly obvious. I changed the C valve just to be safe and remounted the pump. Same result as before. It ended up being bad disconnects even thought that was the first thing I replaced when I had the problem. Right now I just pulled out the check valves and it works fine. Where is the best place to get a set of OEM Meyer disconnects?
  13. Mcgyver2112

Mcgyver2112 Junior Member

angelos-supplies.com has some good prices on parts