1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no responses on around 15 quotes residential/walkway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adam5557, Oct 25, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i have given out many quotes for snow plowing and it includes walkway clearing. They are all around 3 cars long and around 10 ft wide. I have been pricing aroung 25-30 a push and i also offer them to choose to pay for 10 pre billable trips which is between 250-300 dollars.Any help guys its getting really frustrating, could it be my age?thanks.All of these quotes have been gave this month, actually gave 6 quotes out two days ago.thanks
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If these are commercial areas, yes it could be your age. Anyone under 18 cannot legally enter into a contract. Were these bids requested by the potential customer?
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Age should have little to due with if as long as you know how to talk to people;) As far as people getting back to you everyone waits till the last moment(3:00 AM night of the first snow) Residential take forever!! the best you can due is call and check up on them

Hi this is Adam with Adam Snowplowing Inc.:p

Just wanted to see if you had any questions regarding the snow maintenance proposal I had left with you....................... yada, yada...................................... Look forward to working with you, hope to hear from you soon:waving:

I don't even advertise residential till November or late October. People just aren’t in that mind set yet :rolleyes:

Good luck,
    - Eric
  4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

First, how old are ya? And where in Michigan are ya(just curious)

I think ya got no bites because around here anyways we dont get enough snow to have to be plowed, most people canhandle the snow we get with blowers and shovels and dont wanna pay for something they can do themselves. Your better off with people in the country with larger driveways, or buisnesses.
  5. adam5557

adam5557 Member

These are all residential driveways in birmingham/beverly hills area and it includes driveway /walkway clearing-Could any one take a look at my pricing.Thanks.adam
  6. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Also i am 16 years old
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

can you get plowing insurance at 16?

maybe you can, i dont know..... but that would bother me...as a customer
  8. adam5557

adam5557 Member

any other comments on my pricing or any ideas why i am not getting much response.thanks adam
  9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

There could be several factors involved in regards to your quotes for plowing, age, price, equipment, dependiablity. In my area people only want to pay for each visit so thats the way I set up my contracts. I sent out 25 contracts 2 weeks ago and have only gotten 6 back. Last year most waited until it snowed. When I didn't show up to plow they started calling. You have to feel out what works for other opperators in your area and try to porvide a better service to the customers you end up plowing. Word will get around, bad words travel faster than good words.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I think you got the right range for your charges, the 10 pre bill is about right ( i'm not positive about that considering I'm over here on the west coast) but it seems to be in line, I would say keep contact with them and try to get a commitment out of them, Just tell them you need to know if you should put them on the schedule. even if they don't pay now its nice to know you have them when the snow flies. I don't pressure sign ups for immediate payment but I do need to know if I need to keep a spot open for them.
    I've never had one commit and then back out, and once I have serviced them for a season, I've only had a couple complain about the pricing for the following year,(some drives just need the rate adjusted) but they still were'nt willing to drop.
    I had one that signed up as a straight push to the back yard, by mid winter they were in the process of building a garage right in the way of the straight push, so much for the easy push, customer complained the following year when I increased the price. well I didn't put the garage in the way of a straight push.
  11. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

Are you doing this with a blower or a truck? If it's a blower some people don't necessarily feel that a guy with a blower is as reliable as a truck. If that's not the case, follow up with phone calls like stumper suggested. Pricing seems a little high for my area for a drive that size though. good luck
  12. NEAL

NEAL Member

In my area residentials like that are hard to get. Most people just shovel or snowblow it themselves. I had this "great idea" several years ago to target three subdivisions with drives like you are talking about. Gave flyers to every house for $12.00 per plow! Seemed like such a low price would entice a lot of people and I would have a concentration of work and still make a normal dollar amount per hour. I only got 4 jobs. That was the last time I targeted residential. Commercial is much better around here. Maybe same by you? Maybe price too high? I would definately keep in touch and if they say no ask them why they didn't choose you. Good luck.
  13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

$12 per plow. so a residence that has 2ft of snow in it that has a driveway in front of the garage door, how do you plow it for $12? lol

I charged last year in some heavy snows $30-$65 for smaller driveways to snowblow heavy snowfalls, i use a big blower, but i undercharged for my area. This year any 15+ " snowfalls will be more like $50 for smaller driveways and $100+ for longer ones, 6 cars long more countries stuff.
  14. stumper1620

maybe people figured you were to cheap and didn't want to take a chance on you not being there when they needed it.
  15. NEAL

NEAL Member

I hear what your saying. Around here normal snow events are 1-3 inches. Some 4 inchers and maybe one 6+ incher. I wasn't too worried about getting a ton of snow although I did know it was possible.

You are probably exactly right. Cheap price= cheap service more often than not.

Well, you live and learn. Mistakes are the best teachers. If I were to go after driveways again it would be larger country drives not the small city stuff. I charge at least $25.00 now for the small stuff. Actually two of my best accounts with small drives pay $30.00 each and it takes about 3 minutes to plow them.
  16. stumper1620

I hate city drives, fast money but no fun, give me a long country drive with all kinds of room to push the snow.
    2 passes in 2 passes out and a little cleanup around the house/garage.
    I love em.