1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Prices, Just Times

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by QuadPlower, Sep 10, 2008.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

aampic2.jpg

Above is a pic of a business I have been asked to bid on. I have marked out in red what needs to be plowed. I just scratched lines in the two parking lots. Those little dots are cars & trucks. Sorry about the quality of the map. That is as close as I could get and still get most of the facility in it.

The roads are paved, two lane roads. There is 1.2 miles of two lane road running North to city streets that I could not fit in. There is one .3 mile dirt, one lane road running to a building on the north side.

The parking lots are big. South one is 450' x 225' North one is 450' x 250'. Right around 2.3 acres per lot.

There are several (10) shipping ramps that I will use a plow truck with a back blade on to clear. There are several sidewalks that I have a Kubota with a blower and my mini truck to do.

I plan on using:
    • County truck with 13' hyrdro plow, belly blade and salt spreader
    • Large articulating front end loader with 12' box blade.
    • dodge plow truck with 8' V blade and 8' rear box blade
    • Kubota tractor w/50" front mounted blower
    • Suzuki mini truck with 60" V blade

Besides myself I will have 2 other guys working. One to run the loader and one to do sidewalks. I will run the county truck.

There are good places to pile the snow during the push and it can be moved to other places during clean up.

I need times to do the North parking lot with the county truck. South parking lot with the loader. All the roads with the county truck. Docks and clean up with the plow truck. Time to plow the area to the East of the building with the loader and plow truck. OR a price to do every thing except sidewalks.

Also a time and tonnage to apply salt to the entire area.

They want per hour rates to run the equipment. or seasonal. I'm probably not going to offer seasonal. They will call if it needs to be plowed or I can show up and do it. I am 10 miles away so having them call if its not snowing were I'm at, but is there would be nice.

It is a factory that runs three shifts so workers are there all the time.

Equipment can be kept on site.

Any suggestions would be helpfull

aampic2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. QuadPlower

I can't believe this is too big for anyone to give me a guess on times.

How about production times for the loader with a 12' box blade. Acres per hour kind of thing. Same with the county truck.

Would anyone use something different? Besides a dozen plow trucks?

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I suck at pics, can you put some measurements on those 2 bigs lots. We have one lot in similiar size to and the snow has to be pushed out of all the roads and the parking lots all have to be pushed in to one designated pile in each. We use 2 95 hp JD tractors with 12 ft pushers. We only plan on about 7-8 acres/ 12ft pusher because our times lines are very tight and that's what our customers pay for.

4. QuadPlower

Thanks JD

the lot size is 450' x 225' about 2.3 acres each.

Are you saying the 12' pusher will do 7-8 acres per hour? Or is that for 2 the two tractors & pushers?

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Some thoughts
    Roads are very fast.
    I do a 20' wide 1/2 mile long road in about 20 minutes with an 8' plow (with wings), so 4 passes. no backing. Might think about throwing the county truck out there. Backing up with a big truck sucks.

One guy with a truck (8' plow with wings) can plow about 2 acres an hour. 2.3 acres is not big.

I couldn't tell you on the bigger trucks, but I would expect them to be better, although backing sucks, gotta plan it so you keep going forward.

the lots are going to be the fast part, the little stuff (roads in front? sidewalks? confusing picture) are going to take the longest..

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

with 1 truck 8 foot blade, around 8.5 hours 2-4 inches.... but i bet that it could be done in less than 6 hours with 1 truck

7. QuadPlower

Thanks for the input LC & elite.

Went down and drove the parking lots and the road. The lots will probably take 1 hr each. The Road will take around 30 minutes. That is all I could get to without talking to security.

I have changed it to 2 county trucks with 12' front blades, doge plow truck, mustang skid steer with bucket and 8' box blade, & kubota w/blower. The cost for the large loader would not be cost effective.

Any more input would be great. Turning in the bid tomorrow (friday) at noon.