1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no power

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by emayer23, Sep 30, 2006.

1. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i have a boss plow came w/truck last april it worked fine but today when i connected power the head light s did not work the blade didnt move and the switch for the plow did not light up when i connected the wiring it was making a clicking noise under the hood so the was something happening any help would be great:realmad:

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if there might be a relay under the hood? I am buying a BOSS 8'2 V Blade this season and I hope this isn't any indication of whats to come. I would check all connections to make sure there is no corrosion and try it out again. Sounds like a relay, especially if you can hear something "clicking" under the hood.

3. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

relay

relay those would be the little black boxes i take it. there were 4 of them sould i pull it out and replace it and were would i locate a replacement

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No need to double post... Repair thread too.......

You can read my suggestion there.too..

Double response.:dizzy:

Cheek and clean your electric connections.
    Make sure they are tight.

If this does not correct the situation look at the solenoid..

I have never had a relay go bad yet on my 8yr old boss.

The fact that you hear clicking tells me the relays are working. Sounds like low voltage. Clean your connections. Start at the batt and go from their.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  5. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

il give that a try see what happens

6. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

sorry about double post just impatiant i gues

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I under stand, lol winter is getting close..:waving:

Hey,, correction clean the plug.. clean the pins and the power plug in for the plow. where you plug in the plow to the truck.

These plugs get dirty easily and corrode.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  8. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

it works

i tried for 2 hours yesterday and about 2 hours today cleaned all my connections from the battery to the plow finally it started working then stopped then started gain no idea what it was or is im still not satified though im concerned it wont work when it snows but i drove about 1and 1/2 hours with it today and the contol in the cab stayed light the hole time but then when i got home it flickerd there were also a small connections on the positive ad negitive posts of the battery but it seemed the plow worked only when they were connected but then without what are these connections for sorry for the long postpurplebou :redbounce

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I said it before, take it to the boss dealership for routine service. only costs a few bucks and is well worth it, especially if your not familiar with the unit. Then if you ever a problem during a snow you'll have no problem getting service. I have 2 boss v plows only one problem in the last 3 years, wire in the controller pulled loose, they fixed it as soon as i got there for free.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You will save time and money learning to fix your own equipment, especially on routine service/maintenance.
    No matter how good a service dept. is you still need to be able to fix a loose wire or replace a blown hose on your own.
    Time is money, lots not cleared on time means loss of income.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Where do these wires go to?

I would go over the plug connections and the power plug/ connections again.

cheek your fuse, a flickering light means a loose connection and the plug for the controller too for loose or corroded connections.

You may need to spray some cleaner into the plug. Then use a brush or some emery paper rolled up and clean all of the pins in the plug.
    Then cheek the connections that go to the pump motor. .

12. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I never said he shouldn't learn to fix it, at my dealer i watch them work and they answer any questions i have, on or off topic. He has spent 4 hours trying to fix the problem already. If it were snowing and he had no one to turn to that would be $600 lost in profit, so far! You don't have to go and have them hook it up for you, but building a relationship with them is not bad. For a lot of people the best way to learn something is for someone to show you, right.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

But it is not snowing...... no rush and no loss of income, so he has the opportunity to fix it him self now.
    Then when the snow is flying he will be able to fix it him self quickly.
    Learning by watching works, but learning by doing is even better.

The time lost going to the dealer and paying them to fix it in the middle of a storm could cost you your route or a customer, let alone $600 bucks .

Plowers need to be self reliant, not every one has a dealership on the corner that is waiting for your call 24/7. jmo

14. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

all my connections are pretty clean i was very surprised actually but i did clean them with a wire corosion cleaner i coulod not tell were the two small wires went to they come off the battery and go in with the rest of the hundred wire that go to and from the plow i may have had something else loose because like i say the plow works fine now thou or yesterday it did i strongly agree with both of you sometimes its best to let the pro do things but on the other hand you meet a ot of people who could not even change there own flat tire so its good to be educated especially if you and your family are relying on you to feed them with money madepayup

15. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

service center

ps the nearest service center for boss is 1 hour south and about 1 and 1/2 hours north of here of course if it snowing heavily add time for all the idiots who drive like they never seen snow before

16. BMPM

BMPM Member

I just had the same problem last week but my lights and controler stayed lit. The clicking is at the selinoid. unhook the lift cylinder and remove the panel that covers pump motor, then get a pair of jumper cables and hook to battery and down to pump motor. If the motor doesnt run than your motor is shot. Mine had water in it because there is no gasket between motor and pump. Mine was also under warrenty Remember 2 years on parts and labor! let me know how u make out.

17. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i tried that it just arched at me i think the problem lies in the small ground wire on the battery it wont connect to the battery its so corroded the nut wont tighten on im hoping that i can replace it tommorrow when i got a good connection to the (-) post of the battery the head lights turned off parking lights stayed lite so i would assume that if the plow had been connected which it wasnt the head lights would have lite up im quite sure in fact but if not by this time tommorow ill be sitting hear racking eveyones brain formore options and opinions thanks :)

18. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

it looked like that wire came from three places (it was a brown color if that helps anyone)the 4 relays it jumps from 1 to the next to thenext to the next from the joystick in cab and from the plow harness at front of truck they all joined and went to negitive terminal of the battery is it just the ground for every thing

19. BMPM

BMPM Member

Did the pump motor run? Mine arced to. If the pump motor runs then check the plug ( big red wire/ big black wire. those are the power for the pump motor. The rectangle connector works lights and everything else

20. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i dont know when it arched i got worried maybe it wasnt a good idea im not sure how much of the post u read but i could not get it working saturday after two hours i gave up and then tried again sunday got it working and drove for aboutan hour and a half and the plow was working the whole time so i know or i think it couldnt be anything major i think that it just was not grounded properly and that was causing me to as im sure you can amagine no ground nothing is gonna work but if i repair/replace terminal connection tommorrow and it doesnt work ill let you know