1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No power to ultra control

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by glenn L78, Feb 22, 2013.

1. glenn L78

glenn L78 Junior Member

I have a 3 plug ultra,hooked up last night and no power to blade or controller,check 4 fuses under hood, all OK,wire from control harness to fuse box has power,solenoid has power on battery cable,no power on small pos wire,is there a fuse some where I missed? any help appreciated, Thanks

2. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be where it was wired to the fuse box. There was power using a test light but not enough to make it run properly.

3. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Same thing happened to my other truck with an ultra mount. There was a 6 amp inline fuse to the controller that was blown. It's an odd sized fuse that 2 auto stores did not carry. I had to get them from a western dealer. They come in a 5 pack for about $12.

4. glenn L78

glenn L78 Junior Member

can only find 4 fuses under hood and none in line to controler,only orange wire to fuse box, am I missing something?

5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Mine is a 3 port, 2 plug wiring system. It has a red wire coming out of the harness with an inline fuse to the joystick controller. You mentioned an orange wire to the fuse panel so maybe we have different styles.

6. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Here is the Western Mechanics guide;
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/27097_061503_web.pdf

On page 17 is the 9-pin harness and page 18 is the 12 pin harness. Find the solenoid controller on either page. It is located to the right, about the middle of the page. You will see an inline fuse on a red wire. That fuse is a 6 amp (sfe) and that's the one that made mine stop working.

7. glenn L78

glenn L78 Junior Member

fuse is fine, still no power to controller,hve power to red wire, no power at control plug, all fuses good,scratching my head

8. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

The board might be fried inside the controller. Do you have a back-up to test if a new controller would work? If not, do you know someone who has the same controller? Don't wait, snow is coming soon in our area!

9. glenn L78

glenn L78 Junior Member

Thanks for all your help, I tried a new controller today,no dice,its got me, Im taking it some where in the morning, Thanks Again

10. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Where are you taking it? Let me know the outcome, I am curious.
    p.s. you had mentioned that you checked the solenoid, did you replace that also?

11. glenn L78

glenn L78 Junior Member

found broken wire inside one of the harnesses,close to plug,had to replace harness,ouch!
    but back in biz

12. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

good to hear.