1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no power to the clamp switch

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by omiimiish, Nov 12, 2014.

1. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

last spring my electrical harnesses burned up because of a short. Replaced them all but cannot get the switch to operate the clamp. No power, will not operate up or down. It is a 1999 plow and had to splice the ends of the plow side harness to each coil.

All splice connections (I soldered them) checked out. Any suggestions or questions I am not thinking about?

2. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

check your fuse supplying power to your controller, how is your ground wire,

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You have the controller set to power hitch operation right?

4. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

yes I do...

5. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

we just rewired the whole thing, every harness is brand new

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No offense, I was just making sure.

7. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Key on in the vehicle?
    '99 plow originally had rocker box controller with no PH selection switch on the side. Did you upgrade the control?
    Does the plow operate normally from the controller?
    Did you replace ALL truck side wiring and move solenoid to under the truck hood?

8. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

Key is on, truck was running. Replaced truck side, plow side and lighting harness. The controller is probly the original with the on off switch on the side and rocker switches for all other functions. All the other functions work. Solenoid in under the hood (brand new).

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

There is your problem. The plow originally had the solenoid on the plow and so there was no need for a PH control selector switch on the plow control. When the motor solenoid was moved under the hood of the truck is when the selector switch on the side of the control was added. You do not have either power or ground to the switch because you do not have the selector switch on the control box. Easy fix would be to replace the controller with a new joystick "shoebox". If you would like I will get you the information on the workaround to use the old control. First, try searching the Blizzard forum for info. This probably has been discussed before.

10. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

WOW. We moved the solenoid to the engine compartment because the old one was what caused the harnesses to melt down when wires got shorted and the dealer told us it belonged under the hood.

send me any info thanks

11. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

When you replaced your harness, does it have a pink wire to the power hitch switch? Your 99 harness would not have had this.

It is a simple upgrade to convert your controller to a post 99 harness used for the rest of years on PH1 plows, but need to know if your new harness is a 99 harness or a newer harness.

12. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

the harness is brand new. Following the clues here we have figured out that the new harness runs power to the power latch switch through the newer controller which has the three position on/off and power latch switch. To get it up and running we are thinking we can run a jumper to the latch switch on the plow and power it up temporarily until I can pick up a new or used controller.?.?

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Very cheap/easy to mod your old controller. You add the 3 position switch (ON OFF ON), a Molex pin and the missing pink wire with a 1/4" terminal to your old controller and done. Switch fits in place of the old ON OFF switch.

14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

For temp power to the power hitch switch, tap power to pink wire in harness.

15. bliz&hinikerDLR

Johnny got you better info than I had. Use his solution. Without checking the wiring diagram, everything he said is spot on. Thanks Johnny!