1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No power to plow.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

2009 Boss 8.2 V.

No power. I have power time the solenoid, and then nothing.

If I hit buttons on the controller, I should be getting current through the posts on the solenoid, correct?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the solenoid is clicking but you have no power on the output side then you need a fresh solenoid. If it's not clicking then either the solenoid is dead, it isn't getting ground on the small brown wire or it's not being activated by the controller on the white/black wire. A couple checks and you should have it narrowed down.

3. LwnmwrMan22

Oem boss solenoid mounted inside driver's side fenderwell.

Large post towards the front of the truck, power from the battery.

White wire on little post away from fender.

Black wire on little post near fender.

If we jump from the large wire to the post with the white wire, we get power and can control the plow and tower like normal.

We get no other power with anything else.

Do I have the wires in the right spot?

I hate electrical work, my dealer (who did the install) doesn't answer their phone and the voicemail is full.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the white/black wire in the controller plug to be sure it's not backed out of the housing. Then check in the same location with a test light, checking on the truck side of the controller plug for power when any function is pressed except lower. Got power there when a function is pressed? If so then the lose is in the harness between there and the motor solenoid.

5. LwnmwrMan22

I'll have to dig into it again in the morning.

We had pulled the solenoid out and was going to replace it, but then a buddy called and said that he bet it was the wire coming from the key on, that it wasn't "turning on" the solenoid.

I chased down the wire I believe is the key on wire (black w/red stripe) and traced it to a relay under the hood. There was a bunch of corrosion in the terminals and spades, so we cleaned those off thinking we had the issue solved.

Once we put everything back together, now we don't have ANY power, at least not to the controller, nor to any of the functions of the controller when we jump the solenoid.

Also, what I think is odd, is that we no longer have function to change the head lights from truck to plow and back.

6. LwnmwrMan22

Now that I think about it, it would all be tied together.

If the "key on" switch wasn't switching, it wouldn't allow the lights to be switched from truck to plow.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. If the black/red wire isn't supplying keyed ignition power then nothing will work. That black/red supplies turn on power to all the relays in the relay bank, which are the headlamp and controller relays.

8. LwnmwrMan22

I've got keyed power to the relay bank.

I tried following the red wire out of said relay, but it ends up going back into the main harness.

If I jump from the large post on the left to the small post farthest away from the fender, I get the pump running and the controller has power, along with pump functions.

9. LwnmwrMan22

The wires are connected in the back of the controller.

10. LwnmwrMan22

Nevermind. Got it figured out, I believe. Pulled one of the other relays out and out it in this spot and the plow operates

On my way to track down a new relay.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you need a relay they're nothing special so you should be able to source one about anywhere.

12. LwnmwrMan22

None of our auto parts stores could cross it in their system. Only 1 had one that looked similar to one in a book, but of course they didn't have one on the shelf to confirm.

I had to run to a different plow dealer about 40 miles from my house (as I said, I've pretty much given up on the local dealer) and picked up 3, along with some other parts.

Got back home, everything worked fine, except the headlights still wouldn't switch over to the plow with the switch.

Pulled the rest of the relays, moved relays around, checked wires, nothing.

We were stumped, until my 78 year old father walked up and said "what's this wire to?"

Out of the clear blue he pulls a wire basically right on top and shows it to me.

Turns out, at some point last year, someone bypassed the headlight adapters in this truck. It wasn't me, and as far as I can remember, this truck wasn't in the shop.

2 years ago this truck was rolled on its side while plowing, but the plow lights had worked since then.

Anyways, we pulled the passenger side headlight out and those adapters were bypassed as well.

Put both sides back together and wha-la, everything works.

Now I just need to get a new truck side pigtail.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't need to be the exact same p/n, they're not fussy. About any 30amp 5 pin generic Bosch style relay works fine. This is why I mentioned just about any parts store will have one. Universal fog lamp relay is what the parts stores like to categorize them under.