1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no power to joystick

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2004f250, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

Still got no power to the joystick, New solenoid, Waste of forty bucks!, checked fuses, plugs, double checked splices I made to turn signals(these are the only things that work on the plow)Double checked connection to the accessory wire. what next? Its been two days, I could use some help

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

In the branch of the control harness that goes to the motor relay, you've got three small gauge wires... Two go to the small terminals on the relay. The other is red with a green tracer, and has a larger eyelet on it. It MUST go to the large terminal on the relay which is constant hot... the one with the large gauge cable which comes directly from the battery. Sounds like you've got this wire on the wrong side of the relay.

3. cubicinches

And you got way boned if you paid $40 for a motor relay. They're like $15 list price. Sorry...

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Check your grounds

5. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I will check these things out in a couple of hours. As far as the soleniod yeah Stay away from Martin Tires in Worcester. The only place with fisher parts that I could find yesterday. Live and learn!

6. cubicinches

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

7. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

Thank You!!!

8. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Is it fixed?

9. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

unfortunately no. I'm getting power to hot side of the rely nothing to the top. I get no voltage to the joystick and no lights except blinkers. I've missed something. Could there be a problem with the red accessory wire coming out of the joystick harness going under the dash? Should I be getting voltage from this wh/bl wire

10. cubicinches

Do you have parking lights on the plow? The parking light circuit is what triggers the isolation module to switch the truck lights to plow lights when the plugs at the grill are connected. There's a wire in the driver's side headlamp plug in harness that needs to be spliced into the parking lights on the truck.

Also, did you check the red/green wire at the relay? That powers up the isolation module. And, as Philbilly said, check all of your grounds... Black/orange wires.

You wont have power to the motor side of the relay until you energize the relay with the controller. If the controller is not powered up, then you'll go no further than that. But if the isolation module isn't powered up, then neither will the controller. Start checking things with a test light.

11. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

ok. I thought only the blinkers wires had to be spliced, I assumed the head lights only need to be plugged into the plugs coming off he harness. I'll go check this right now

12. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

No parking lights on the plow. headlights an blinkers. Blinkers work. found no other wires in the light harness coming from the Module. Still unsure about the white and blue wire under the dash next to the tow package. When I removed the joystick from the previous truck the red wire coming from the joystick wire was attached to this but I'm unsure of the voltage if any that supposed to coming through. Red ad green wire check out as well as the grounds

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  13. cubicinches

Yep. Gotta have the parking light wire spliced into the truck harness. And confirm power to the red wire to the controller.

14. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

ok boss all set. apparently i did not spice the red wire with the Wh/Bl under the dash correctly. I used the quick splice tas and did not crimp them tight enough. I have lights and power to the pump, all is good. It sucks not having enouigh dough to have this stuff done. Thank you for your help and advice really appreciate it. Now I'm gonna read through prior post and try to figure out how to service the pump/motor

15. mainerenegade

mainerenegade Junior Member
    from rumford

Hey! Sorry to rob this thread but i have noticed people with good answers help diagnose his problems here with his plow., I myself have a mm2 setup with a 4 plug module . I was not getting any of my lights or power to my joy stick as well. But after reading this thread i currently have my lights working fine. The red green wire was on the wrong side of the solenoid. Switched a everything in the lights works mint. Now the problem is still no power to the joy stick. I did every thing listed in this thread to try to fix this problem. I retraced the whole wiring harness and everything is put in the correct spot. Still no power to the joy stick. Any suggestions? It is on a 2000 ford f250

16. 2004f250

2004f250 Junior Member

I checked the accesary wire under the dash going to the joystick and that fixed my problem. this wire is white and blue and connects to the red wire comig from the joystick harness.

17. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Bad joystick?

18. mainerenegade

mainerenegade Junior Member
    from rumford

Just an update on my progress.

Re checked to see if everything was plugged in to the correct spot. It was

Cleaned all grounds and re connected them. Still no power to joy stick.

Put the acessory wire into three different switch fuses. still nothing.

So went back to testing all power wires. I have power to the isolation box where the power goes to the plow motor .

starting checking each female end of the harness that plugs into the plow. As soon as i touched the one that transfer power from the joystick to the plow motor i heard a click in the isolation box. so i plugged all the harnesess into each other. Went back to the joystick and had power :yow!:

Tried it and now everything works. :mechanic: