1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No power to fisher mm2 plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fordf350super, Nov 25, 2010.

1. fordf350super

fordf350super Junior Member

HI I HAVE A 2003 FORD F350 WITH A 8' FISHER PLOW MM2 STRAIGHT BLADE MY PROBLEM STARTED LAST WEEK WHEN I TOOK THE PLOW OUT OF STORAGE AND HOOKED IT UP TO MY TRUCK THE PLOW DID NOT RAISE WHEN I PRESSED UP ON MY FISHER "FISH STICK"
    BUT, THE RED LIGHT WAS ON. THEN I I CHECKED UNDER MY HOOD WHEN EVER I PRESSED ONE OF THE BUTTONS I CHECKED WITH A VOLT METER TO SEE IF POWER WAS COMING OUT.I CHECKED WHERE THE PLUG FROM THE PLOW PLUGS INTO WHILE SOMEONE APPLIED POWER TO THE FISH STICK AND NO VOLTAGE WAS COMING SO I TRACED IT TO A White Rodgers DC relay POWER WAS GOING INTO THE RELAY BUT NO VOLTAGE CAME OUT SO THINKING THAT WAS THE PROBLEM I BOUGHT A NEW ONE TODAY AND HOOKED IT UP AND I CONTINUE TO HAVE NO POWER TO MY PLOW
    DO YOU KNOW WHATS WRONG AND HOW TO FIX IT?
    IF SO THANKS A BUNCH

2. equip guy

equip guy Member

does the plow move any other positions/

3. fordf350super

no does not move at all

4. equip guy

equip guy Member

Plows when they sit develop poor connections in several areas, first check all your grounds that come from the s-1, s-2. s-3, coils, even if you have to unbolt the bolt, sand, and remount, ck the power, and grounds at the truck side, under the hood, your plow only grounds it self when mated to the frame., you can have power at the coils, but with poor connections even at the grille, you'll have problems., check these thoroughly and let me know if you haven;t done so already.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You're sure about that?

6. cubicinches

A test light is your best friend. If you've got power to the battery relay under the hood, at the hot side coming from the battery, use a test light to check the other large terminal while somone activates the control (up, left, or right) If you've got no power coming out to the plow motor when the control is activated, check for power at one or the other of the small terminals on the relay while activating the control (up, left, or right). If you've got nothing there, then you've got a control or control harness issue. I'd start there based on what testing you've already done.

7. equip guy

equip guy Member

well to be exact it does help since the coils are mounted to the head gear, and the ground wire from the truck goes through the plug and to the mount bolt on the head gear, when the main frame is secured to the truck it enhances the ground system to make one system., thats not to say the plow won't work if not hitched in, but when making sure all connections are good this certainly helps eliminate over looked inexpensive troubleshooting.

8. equip guy

equip guy Member

Cubic inches makes a good point, the test light procedure is simple and will help narrow it down., Just keep in mind that if the plow worked fine when you parked it last season, and you store the blade out in the elements, and your harness plug has debris in it, it is a good chance that this is a good place to start. Stranger things have happened, but something to look at.

9. cubicinches

The coils are grounded through the plow side control harness, which is grounded to the plow motor, which is grounded to the truck by the battery cables, of which the truck side battery cable is grounded to the battery or engine.

Just sayin...

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

actually jumper cables are your best friend. hook them to the battery and then put power and ground to the plow motor. if it runs you have solenoid/relay issues. using the cables put power to the motor relay on the battery side and hit the control. if it runs you have a bad connection at the battery. hook the cable to the motor side of the relay. the motor should run. if not you have a bad connection between the relay and the plow motor.

good luck.

11. fordf350super

i tried this idea and it sparked and got red hot and the plow did not move or anything any other suggestions on what the problem could be.
    i already checked the relay with a voltmeter and 12vs goes into it and when i press the button 12v does not come out but its a brand new relay so could it be the motor?
    thanks

12. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you hook the cables right to the motor?

13. fordf350super

I think we determined what the problem was. we believe the motor is frozen stuck because when we tried it yesterday the solenoid put out 12 amps of current to the motor and the motor did nothing but draw a lot of power out of it until the solenoid got fried again so i ordered a new solenoid and motor and we will see where we go from there hopefully this will solve the problem. My question is, is it possible to have someone rebuild the motor as a back up? and how much would that cost
    thanks

14. cubicinches

A motor is a little over $100.00. I'd just put a new one on there.

15. fordf350super

yeah your probably right i already bought one just wondering what it what cost to have a spare one

16. peterzereski

peterzereski Junior Member
    from RI

did a new motor fix this?