1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No power steering at low speeds!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peterk800xc, Sep 27, 2006.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

My 2004 Silverado 1500 4X4 has had an intermittant no power steering at low speeds since new.I had originally thought it was due to the new plow I had installed but found out later that it has the problem with or without the plow on.I just got back from the GM dealer and they put a BN power steering pump on it and tonite I go to back out of my driveway and when turning the steering wheel and hitting the brakes-NO steering again. I have seen else where that this problem is not my truck alone but no one really has said just waht causes this and what the cure is-seeing a BN pump didnt correct it. Anyone here can help out? Thanks.

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Is this with the blade on it on dry pavement? If so tire pressure is too low! You need to be about 50 psi.

If not, is the belt squealing? Are you running wider tires?

3. peterk800xc

No belt squeal either.
    It has done it since new with and without the blade on it.Running 45 PSI in the tires which is whats called for.265/70x17 is the tire size which came stock from the factory when I bought it.If you rev the motor alittle the power steering will come back.Idling RPM is what the manual calls for via the computer.Going back in the morning to see what they find.I have heard there is a pressure valve on the pump which has to be adjusted but with a BN pump wouldnt think so but who knows!

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Please let me know what they find. 45 PSI is what's called out for with no blade. Up it when there is a blade on there. That will help allot.

New pump, same thing, sounds very strange.. tricky one to figure out.

5. peterk800xc

They think they found the problem.

Yaz- just back from picking up my truck from the dealer.After further testing they found a tight spot on the rack and pinion steering gear.None in stock so they had to order a new one from GM. Can't beleive after just 24000 miles that this important piece of gear would go bad.Must have been made in Mexico. Will let you know after I get it installed after next week.

6. Jmac572

Jmac572 Junior Member

I have this same problem on my 05, ive only noticed it with the blade up though.. It was so bad once, the wheel wouldnt turn at all.. truck only has 3k miles

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

JMAC572 Slick picture of your truck. I have to copy your idea!

8. Jmac572

Jmac572 Junior Member

Thanks, yea you should, you need somethin better than that tiny picture to show that nice truck of yours off :)... heres another good one for ya.. some trucks from the company I work with, i took the liberty of giving myself an xblade for this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006