1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Power/Ground To Controller. Help!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dstosh, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

So I Changed the GPR on my dump yesterday. I unhooked the neg. cables from both batteries and went about my business. I went to hook the plow controller up and it doesnt light up. So today I was poking arround with the test light, and when I touch certain wires, the controller lights up. So my thoughts are that there is no ground some where and when I touch the wire with a grounded test light, the circut completes. Now the harness that is on the truck had some splicing in the brown/red and the orange and black wires. So I cut them apart and soldered them together. Sill they didnt work. So my question is, Would a bad selinoid cause this? Because the one that is on there is used. Any Help is appriciated. Thanks.

Derek

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should have had an orange/black wire on the neg side of one of the batteries to ground the harness and under hood solenoid... you might have over looked it when you reconnected the batteries..

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think I might Have. Thanks B&B

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Well. Upon Inspecting it today, there was no extra ground. I added one, and when I did that, the headlights dont work now. I had the same problem when The dealer first put the mount on the truck. I took it back, and he removed that extra ground, and then everything worked fine. So why would it work fine until I took the neg cables off of the battery?

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

BTW the plow lights do work. It acts like the plow is attached all the time. You turn the lights on and it automatically switches. Relays are new too.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How many relays are in your harness, 2 or 3?

I'd be going back over any connections to make sure you didn't bump one loose..

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

2 Relays. I will try cleaning the grounds again. Thanks

8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Grounds appear to be ok. When I took it back to the dealer, he told me that sometimes the joystick controller wont work, but the handheld one will??? Thoughts?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Still sounds like an intermittent ground problem on the org/blk wire somewhere...

Since you mentioned before that the truck harness has had some "splicing done in the org/blk wire" that'd be the first place I'd be double checking.

When the controller does appear to have power, does all the plow functions and head lights work correctly?

10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Yep.

I dont know what grounds exactly to look for. I gave it a check over, and I didnt see any lose/broken wires.

11. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Wasnt anything a 9 pin repair harness couldnt fix. There were a couple broken wires. Just wish I could have done it myself. Oh well. Good to have a good relationship with a dealer.