1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no power at controller

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by peterng, Nov 1, 2010.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I just got this setup a month ago. Everything worked fine, needed some tremclad. I noticed a LOT of electrical tape, which indicated that I needed to remove it all and check the connections.

I was trying to clear out a bay in the barn to set it up to do some work on it. Hooked up and no power on the controller light. Unplug the controller, no power in there anywhere.

Checked all the fuses I could find beside isolater module. found a 7.5amp and a 15amp.

please reference the first picture:

I think that unit is called a solenoid, or a constant duty solenoid ??
    the hot post goes straight to the battery, all good there.
    at no time does the post labelled 'dead' have power.
    (b) is a ground
    (a) I assume goes to the on/off button on the controller. does this wire control the solenoid position?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have no idea what model this plow is. stickers near the control module refer to model year 1999. it's 7.5'. truck is a ford 7700.

everything worked fine til my mechanic hooked up daytime running lights using a relay. I found where he had one wire tapped into a hot wire on the fisher isolation module. Not sure if that caused my electrical failure, but probably a fair suspect.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. 2cox

2cox Junior Member
    from maine

I have the same truck and what you showed looks right until the controller is turned on and asked to make a function then the dead red wire going to the pump is hot check the grounds and try a different controller if you can also check to see if the secondaries on the motor relay are both hot they should not be that may be the problem that was mine

3. TONY labounty

TONY labounty Junior Member

check the red wire inside of truck at fuse box to see if you got power there

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Definitely check your power supply, but also check your connections to make sure they're clean and have a tight fit, Do you hear any clicking when trying to activate a function?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Hook everything up and then take a screw driver to both the big terminals on the solenoid (bridge them together)...does the plow engage?

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I will start with the first post, I didn't think that it would be powered only when the controller was activated, thgouht there would be another relay in the pump housing somewhere.

Any idea what model plow that is ??
    Thanks,
    Pete
    ----
    weplow.ca

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Pete that is a Minute Mount 1 with an Insta Act pump, late 90's early 2000's. And yes, it has a constant power to it, but noting plow side.

8. 2cox

2cox Junior Member
    from maine

the power wire going from the battery to the motor relay is hot the power wire going to the plow side is not untill the switch is activated

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did you take a screwdriver or something and bridge the connections, and if so, did the plow activate at all?

10. 2cox

2cox Junior Member
    from maine

yep and the plow did move

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

replace your solenoid first.

12. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

X2 :mechanic:

13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

mcw was right, in the end power was interupted to the lighting system so the plow stopped working.
    Pete