1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No power at all

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ipushsnow, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Just went to hook the plow up due to snow coming tonight and no power at all. No power to controller. Fuses checked and fine, everything else appears to be hooked up, haven't done any work to it. And the worst thing is I don't even have my electrical tester here!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. It's an 07 Boss V.

2. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

If you don't have your tester then start checking your connections. Either that or go get your tester.

3. Stone781

Stone781 Member

anyone ever had a problem... where you push the control and the sylondoid clicks and nothing happens... whats that?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, if you read around here you'll see its a common issue on all plows.

Its due to a loose/poor connection, bad solenoid...or worse case, a dead pump motor. Jump the solenoid and see if the motor runs. If it does then the solenoid is bad. If it still doesn't then you have a poor connection (check the power connector plug first) or a dead motor.

5. Stone781

Stone781 Member

what should i set up the solenoid to jump from a battery to both connections on the other end to the solenoid?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with just jumping the solenoid itself, by connecting the two larger posts together briefly with the jumper cables. If the motor runs then the solenoid is bad. If it still doesn't then start going over all the connections from the battery all the way to to pump motor...paying special attention to the power cable connector at the bumper. Common issue for those to get worn/oxidized/corroded.

7. Stone781

Stone781 Member

so hook up a cable to the battery and then use to other end of the cables and connect each grapple to both of the large connections on the solenoid... leave the wires attached to the solenoid or take them off and put them the wire itself in the grapples of the jumper cables? i appreciate it buddy

8. Stone781

Stone781 Member

so the jumper cables go right on the solenoid and leave the wires connected to the solenoid?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Leave all the cables on the solenoid that are on it. Take the jumper cable and connect one large post on the solenoid to the other large post on the solenoid. If the pump runs the solenoid is bad...since you just temporarily bypassed it with the jumper cable.

10. Stone781

Stone781 Member

ok, ill brb ill check it

11. Stone781

Stone781 Member

when i did it... it was sparking off of the solenoid? didnt have chance to test?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it will spark as your competing a connection...

13. Stone781

Stone781 Member

i have a solenoid replacement for my fisher can i temporarily hook that up?

14. Stone781

Stone781 Member

but if i have it on the wrong side of the solenoid then it will spark real bad right?

15. iluvscag

iluvscag Member
    from STL

I dont mean to highjack the thread but i just tried hooking up my 7.5 meyer and and the motor is running but the plow will not angle. raise or lower?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, since your completing the circuit and attempting to run the motor.

17. Stone781

Stone781 Member

your high jacking boss talk here

18. Stone781

Stone781 Member

can i use the fisher solenoid?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure can...

20. Stone781

Stone781 Member

you da man