1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Power at 12v Trailer Plug.....09 GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by G.Landscape, Jan 13, 2013.

1. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

are u using the live all the time or the backup lamp wire? put the truck in reverse and it should power up...
    Did you check the fuse's?

3. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Trailer plug has separate breakers under the hood & has nothing to do with the tail lights ...

4. G.Landscape

from Ontario

OK....so I have basically built my own back up buddy set up. I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I have it hooked up through a relay using the 12v on the trailer plug as constant power with the reverse terminal as the signal line. When I shift into reverse I can hear the relay turn on but with only 1.5v from the power the lights won't turn on.

5. Triple L

from Canada

Just use the reverse and don't worry about it... I have had 2 large non led lights hooked onto myn since 2009, are you worried about burning something up?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

sounds like your tapped into the brake wire.

7. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Are you using a relay or just straight wired on? it seems when I try the reverse terminal that the fuse keeps blowing, so something isn't right. These are 2 spot lights at 80w each so they take a good amount of power.

8. Triple L

from Canada

Striaght wired to the reverse plug with a trailer plug... 2 lights with 2 bulbs each light, very bright, never have had a issue

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's only 7 amps each

10. G.Landscape

from Ontario

So I had 20amp fuses and they were still blowing. Changed the lights out to 2 50w bulbs and it workes fine now. Still wired through the relay but running off the reverse plug only

11. G.Landscape

from Ontario

OK, so I realized the relay is doing nothing now to I took it off. Works good now. Thanks for the help. Here is what I mocked up, I used wood so when I back into something I can replace it instead of having a bend up piece of metal. Also used all the same color wire so if someone steals it they will be really confused. [​IMG]

Just kidding. I am going to make a proper metal box for it at the shop next week, this was just the **** I had lying around the house.

12. Triple L

from Canada

is that your truck?

13. Triple L

from Canada

myn is a 1 wire set up haha, You like complicating things I must say.... :eek:

14. G.Landscape

from Ontario

How are you going to get away with less wires then that? 2 Power and 2 ground. and yes that's my truck.

15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Just for backup lights?

I mounted mine to my spring mounts, grounded them nearby, ran the two power wires into a Y-wire, then tapped that wire directly into my trailer harness's reverse wire. 55W bulbs in them, never blew a fuse. Couldn't see them without ducking your head under the truck but they lit up the snow behind me just fine.
    [​IMG]

16. G.Landscape

from Ontario

I figured it was best the ground right to the trailer plug instead of having another splice/ground screw to rust and fail. If it was any kind of distance from the plug I probably would have grounded right to the truck, I will head out and grab some pictures soon, just getting dark now.

17. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Here is the lights. The fence is approx 130' (40m) from the truck
    [​IMG]

18. Triple L

from Canada

Exactly how theholycow said... Keep it simple stupid, soo much easier and I dig the clean look most of all...

19. CENTRALIAPLOWER

CENTRALIAPLOWER Junior Member

LED lights

I used these lights for back up lights on back of my truck. As you all know LED lights draw very little amps so the can be wired right off the trailer plug reverse wire without losing output like u would a non LED light if a relay wasnt used. Used a sealed plastic box from radio shack and mounted on back all the wires.

lights.jpg

20. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

center pin on seven prong is back up should power those lights no prob I have 2 on the spreader running off that and the third brake light all running off the bumper. my stock back ups have the hid aways in them and replace in the summer. took the top amber signal out of the front lights and mounted the hid aways in there too peaks out nicely under the western night hawks.