1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Plow Prep Package

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by loganworks, Jan 1, 2011.

1. loganworks

loganworks Junior Member

Hi there. I have a 2011 F250 4X4 with the 6.2 and the 9400# rating but it does not have the snow plow prep package. The Ford dealer says that I don't need the prep package to install a plow, yet Fisher says it is required. My question is, Is it really necessary and if so whyY

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You don't need plow prep on a ford to install a plow. Just tell the Fisher dealer it has plow prep, they'll have no clue it doesn't. If it drops too much with the plow raised, swap in some heavier springs, very easy to do.

3. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The dealer can put the items on your truck to make it a snow plow prepped vehicle. But it will cost. Ford warranty and Fisher liability is why they require snow plow prep. Besides telling the Fisher dealer it has the snow plow prep package, you can also buy the complete package from the Fisher dealer and install it yourself or have a mechanic install it. For a number of years Ford said no to snow plows on diesel trucks. Yet many plows were put on with no problem. The only time you will have a problem if you brake something in the front end that would be covered under the Ford warranty. If your dealer is saying you can put the plow on, then that dealer is saying they will cover the Ford warranty. Your truck should drop or at least not drop much, unless you put on the biggest and heaviest plow Fisher has, a ten foot plow.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You will have to change the fan clutch if it is a ford diesel without plow prep.:nod:

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it. We have a 2007 Silverado 3500 without a plow prep package, and three years later the Blizzard 810 is still on it.:nod:

6. LON

LON Senior Member

I would not touch it if it is not snowplow prep equipped.

7. loganworks

loganworks Junior Member

Interesting!!! The only one who would have a problem with it is a plow distributor. Lon why is it that fisher would not put it on exactly? The dealer says that the truck is more than heavy enough to handle it. I would also like to know what is included in the prep package other than heavier front springs?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A differant clutch fan, the the non-plow prep truck has a differant clutch fan and if you do not change the fan clutch the truck will over heat. It is cheap.

9. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Too many people are focused on what things say in black and white...I was told years ago that no one will put a plow on a Ford Excursion, and most plow dealers told me flat out that they would not do the job...after speaking with the manager at the dealership where I bought the truck he put me in touch with a blizzard dealer...he did the job and now 8years later, I've had not one problem...the truck is an animal...Put the plow on...

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I like it!!! Well said.

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Put the damn plow on, the truck will handle it fine. Every one of my trucks is "non plow prep" and they plow just fine.

Basher, the 6.2 is a gas, not a diesel. Don't know if the fan clutch is still an issue on the diesels, but regardless, the OP's truck is a gasser.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  12. loganworks

loganworks Junior Member

OK I get it. There is no need to have the prep package. I have the chance to by a 8' HD Miniut mount from the early 90s that has had little use and has been sitting for about 5 yrs. What should I look closely at when inspecting it before buying it.

13. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

The prep package is not much of an issue, just bigger springs in your case. But you need to make sure you have the 6000 lb front axle, I'm not sure if it different for the gas, but I know I needed it with my new 6.7. I'm thinkin you only have a 5400 axle, but with the lighter gas engine you might be okay.

14. JCark

JCark Member

You dont NEED to, only if you have a few hundred extra bux your trying to throw away, it will work perfectly fine without it.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

16. JCark

JCark Member

The right fan clutch for the diesels that have separate clutches with the plow prep package (years 03-07) are the oem clutch that FORD makes. You did scroll down and see that the clutch for the diesel is $240 on that site you posted right? and thats not even the right clutch for the plow prep package.

The 2011 PSD's dont even have seperate fan clutches with the plow prep package.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...ue&year=2006&make=Ford&model=F-250 Super Duty

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  17. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I think the plow prep package on my GMC has an upgraded alternator. Wouldn't you want (need) that for an electric type plow???

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's great but we are talking about a Gasser.

19. JCark

JCark Member

I know that, I was responding to your original post about the diesels. That's why I quoted you when I responded. No Ford gasser has a separate fan clutch with the plow prep package. :dizzy: Sorry OP I didn't mean to hijack your thread. plow prep or not that Superduty should hold a plow just fine :drinkup:

20. LON

LON Senior Member

It all has to do with liability issues. At one time we put plows on just about anything but then the ambulance chasers got involved. I know of one place that closed in the late 90's that had been doing plows on anything. One of the trucks he did was invloved in a serious accident and it cost him his business. Lawyers found out he put a plow on a truck that overloaded the front axle and this is what they focused on. Said that the plow effected the steering and braking of the truck & he putting the plow on was the primary reason. When it all comes down to it if I follow Fisher's instructions if an issue arises it is their liabitlity lawyers, their liability insurance in the courtroom with me.
    Ford put out a letter recently on their 2011 F150 stating that the steering is now electronic assist and adding any weight to the front axle will severely effect the steering. No plows will be allowed on these trucks. Seeing that Fisher is in talks with Ford on a whole different level than I I will follow what they tell me.
    Do I put people's lives on the line for that 1 plow sale? Won't see it from me.