1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No plow prep package now what?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SalNazzaro, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Found out today I don't have the plow prep package, so now what do I do, should I order the factory plow prep springs?

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

there are other things I believe than just springs in the package. Is the truck still under warranty, I would ask your local ford dealer what their thoughts are.

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I heard I need the dual alternators which I do bc I have the rapid heat and then something about a fan clutch but I looked online and there's only one available for my truck and I looked and I have the heaviest 6000 springs so I guess I'm fine?

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I know that the diesels need a different fan clutch, I dont know about the gas motors though. As for the springs, 6000 lb springs are the plow prep springs. I believe it would have 5200 if it doesnt have the plow prep

5. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Is the fan clutch that big a deal, like I said on ford parts they only showed the one part number for the diesels?

6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

What is your concern? Are you worried ab out it breaking down or if your warranty would be void?

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

getting the fan clutch should keep your warranty intact if they even care. rapid heat doesnt necessarily mean dual alternators. plow prep gives you the 200amp alternator (duals arent avail. with plow prep)

with your 6K springs you should be fine, i would look into the fan clutch if your worried, not that big of a deal to install for them.

8. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I have dual alternators so I think I'm good there the springs don't bother me and I've never seen my temp guage move w the plow on it. This is the first truck I've had without plow prep and was just concerned about that fan clutch and heard the dealer ca void your warranty if you don't have plow prep

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think the fan clutch is the only thing you are missing for it to have the "plow package". If you tow on the highway with the plow on it may get hot. If not I wouldn't worry about it, other than the warranty bull***.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I don't have the plow prep package either, I'm upgrading my springs to the 7K vs. the plow package 6K.

As far as the fan clutch, someone once posted the part number for the upgrade and I can't seem to find that information, does anyone here know those ?

Thanks

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Take it in to your dealer and tell them what you want. If this is in addition to your earlier questions about running a 9 ft. blade, don't worry about it. With the proper ballast and good tires, you will be more than fine.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I dont have plow prep and have no problems

13. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I don't have any probs w it but just never thought to check if I had the plow prep, it plows great all the time screw it

14. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have run ford diesels for 11 years now plowing and doing landscape work and not one of them has had the snow plow prep package. Two have well over 200,000 miles and have had not one tranny or engine problem. The other I just bought march 2010 and had a tranny issue but that was a common problem in the 03-07 6.0 diesel transmissions. I wouldn't worry to much about it. My new truck has the 5200 lb springs and I run a 9.5' hiniker v and the temp gauge never moves. Probably just bs for you to buy!

15. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I'm not going to worry about it, the truck wil be fine.

16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Plowfever it isn't bs for me. I had an 05 6.0 diesel w/o the plow package and it plowed just great. As soo as would go to pull my skidloader on the freeway the temps would climb. Ford doesn't have mumbers but alot hotter than it ever had run. I ordered my 07 and now when I pull the loader the temp never moves, however I do hear the cooling fan engaging now.

As far as plowing and carring the weight I didn't see a difference. Pulling w/o the plow was never an issue just with the plow on.