1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Plow Package

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Henry0016, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Henry0016

Henry0016 Member

I have 2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew cag short bed.It doesn`t have the plow package.I was wondering if it ok to put a plow on it and what size.

Thanks Henry

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Are you kidding? It is a 4x4 right???
    If so :nod: Yes you can put a plow on it. I just checked Fishers site and they say almost anything from a 7.5' to 9' blade with the lightest front end.

If you bought a new truck with a factory warranty some dealers would require the package to keep you covered in case you break your front end, suspension or worse, a drive-train component. :yow!: The package has some nice things that help you out. A few I can think of is 1) A bigger alternator. The plows today are electric hydraulic draining a lot of power. 2) climate control delete option. I think it may be because the drain of power messes the sensors internal to that unit. Like strangely shutting off the defrost etc etc. Plows drain so much power lifting and angling especially with the heater blasting, rear window defrost on, wiper's on high and headlights all going at once. We all done this many times! 3) No sunroof offering. I guess plowing could bend the roof, Seams funny but there is some strange reason for it not offered with the plow prep. maybe guys would open them when plowing and it could jam forward? O yeh I almost forgot 4) Pre-wiring for the roof beacon. Most guys use the lighter socket anyway. there are more but you get the point.

Just so you know just a few years back well maybe 15 or so, I don't even recall that anyone even offered a snowplow prep package. :rolleyes: we just made due.

I'm going on and on... Just click on one of this site sponsored plow manufacturers links, use the selection guide most of them have. Look for a dealer close to you and go and talk and check out what they have etc.

You'll get a plow on there. :drinkup: Remember start slow on you own property and don't wreck anyones lawn, giving us nice guys a bad name!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Um, no. They have had snow plow prep packages since the early 70's anyway, possibly. Remember the Dodge Snow Commander and Snow Fighter? They offer those packages for a reason.... New trucks are made so light and soft for ride quality adding the plow can really tax them. Talk to your dealer before adding a plow without plow prep. Dodge WILL void warranties on 1500's if you add a plow without plow prep. Be safe and check it all out first before doing it and being sorry. The truck will handle it no question, but the extra loads on it may cause other problems without the plow prep as described above.

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Like I said. "I don't recall". I just knew when I said that that I would be corrected by you guys out there. :nono: I'm a GM guy so I forgot all about the Dodge Snow Commander and Snow Fighter you mentioned. I bet there were GM ones as well. Any takers to jog my memory?
    Anyway Henry's factory warranty is most likely over or close to it since it's a 2002. :drinkup:

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What's Up Henry :rolleyes:??? You posed this same thread in two places!!! Your killing me! :gunsfiring: LOL

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sorry Yaz, don't take it so hard. Didn't mean it so sternly.
    I work related to car and truck lit so I see brochures, databooks, service manuals, and every other piece of automobile related paper you could think of daily- AND I am a truck nut.
    Dodge Snow series were the first marketed directly for snow plowing, the other Big Two have no direct Snow marketed names to their credit, but the importance of beefing the front ends up has been recognized since the early 70's for plow prep packages. The biggest changes for plow prep being well known is the emergance of these darn electrohydraulic plows requiring a beefy electrical system.
    The 1950's trucks tended to have stiffer suspension and frames in general than now- trucks have really weakened in construction over the last 100 years. A Mack AC of 1910 was about the size of a 1 ton stake side yet was rated for 5 tons or more.

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

No problem. I am somewhat of a car/truck freak too but I'm always learing somthing! Somtimes the hard way! :dizzy: Thanks for strainting me out! lol